1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Mount (N.C.) Sports Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jessiehnunery, Dec 9, 2014.

1. jessiehnunery

jessiehnunery New Member

The Rocky Mount (N.C.) Telegram, an award-winning daily, seeks a talented, versatile sports journalist for its sports staff.

The successful candidate will be able to break news, write compelling features, copy edit and design.

The person we hire will be detail-oriented and ambitious with a commitment to accuracy. Must be able to work efficiently on deadline.

We cover 10 area high schools, a local Division III college and the Atlantic Coast Conference, specifically Duke, North Carolina and North Carolina State.

Experience with multimedia is necessary, and experience with Adobe InDesign is a plus. Candidates must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year institution, as well as a rock-solid understanding of grammar and AP style.

The successful candidate will prioritize Web-first publishing.

Recent alumni currently work at USA Today, The Raleigh News and Observer, Charlotte Magazine, The Pittsburgh Post Gazette, Scout.com and the Toledo Blade, among others.

If interested, send an email with “sports writer opening” as the subject, as well as your resume, cover letter and up to five clips to Sports Editor Jessie H. Nunery at jhnunery@rmtelegram.com.

We intend to make a hire before the end of the month.

2. jessiehnunery

jessiehnunery New Member

A little context to our opening.

We hired two new writers in August.

Both have done outstanding jobs.

One so much, that he was able to quickly take an opportunity he did not see coming.

Company is in good shape, and we'll continue to give our writers the freedom to come in, gain a wealth of experience on different levels and move on to whatever comes their way.

3. NUWildcat77

NUWildcat77 New Member

I am one of the writers hired over the summer. If you have any questions about the job, feel free to email me at jwalfish@rmtelegram.com

Josh

4. aivins

aivins New Member

I'm the guy leaving the Telegram, so thought I could provide a little insight on the position.

The prep scene is competitive, which makes the games enjoyable to cover. There's Tarboro, which is the home of Georgia running back Todd Gurley and North Edgecombe, which is where Louisville forward Montrezl Harrell went to school. Both guys should be high draft picks in the coming year, which gives you an idea of the talent that is in the area. The Twins Counties also had seven schools make the state football playoffs this past year, which is the norm when it comes to most sports.

Like Jessie said, I was offered another opportunity which I didn't see coming, so I'm on the move. I would recommend this job to anyone, both Jessie and Josh are good people.

Feel free to email with any questions aivins@rmtelegram.com

5. jsimp

jsimp Member

I'm curious, any updates on this job yet?

6. NUWildcat77

NUWildcat77 New Member

We have narrowed it down to finalists and a decision will be made within a day or two.

7. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Is Rocky Mount near Mount Pilot?

8. JohnScratch

JohnScratch New Member

Nah, Pilot Mountain is to the west near Winston-Salem and Mount Airy. Rocky Mount is on the east near Greenville.

9. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Right on.

10. Iceberg Simpson

Iceberg Simpson New Member

Any updates on this?

11. NUWildcat77

NUWildcat77 New Member

We have found a candidate who will be starting shortly.

12. wfl

wfl New Member

I am actually the one taking this job.

That said, the Forsyth County (Ga.) News will have an opening after this week. It prints Weds./Fri./Sun. with a pretty big online-first emphasis. It'd be a great job for a recent college grad, as it was for me, and Brian Paglia (sports editor) is a great guy to work for and with. You'd be part of a two-man staff that covers six area high schools, four of them in Georgia's biggest classification. Lambert HS baseball started this season No. 1 in the preseason polls, and there are a ton of big-time baseball, lacrosse, soccer and golf prospects; two junior girls basketball players have already committed to Maryland, as well. My email is easy to find - I'll answer any questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted