1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Balboa ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, Dec 17, 2006.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Catch this one if you can. I dare say, it could almost pass as a date movie, only because everyone knows/loves Rocky.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course not; if he did, he'd just be any other poster... instead, he's special...

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The best review I've seen.

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/reviews.cfm/id/1202/page/rocky_balboa.html

4. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

My question is this: Who the hell did Glass Joe beat? His record says he was 1-99, and his one victory should've been the first opponent on the game. But I loved the original Punch Out (arcade version) after you won the title. You'd have to fight all the guys all over again "With Power." Even Glass Joe was tough.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Saw the film last week. Enjoyed it for what it was. Really liked the tour of their old haunts. I'd probably do the same in his shoes.

Liked Paulie's moments, thought the exchanges between Rocky and his son worked too. There are a lot of moments that look like they would be cringe-worthy if they continue, but Stallone stops them just in time. Of course, I liked Rocky V to an extent . . . .

The thing is, you're sitting in that theater, and you know there's gonna be a fight and a training sequence. The previews gave that much away. But there's a moment right after Duke/Tony's kickass speech about punches that rock his ancestors, when the old music starts up and you see Rocky training. That moment is like a gauntlet thrown down in the movie theater: Are you on board with this thing, or not?

I was waffling throughout the movie and just sort of felt like the movie, whiole solid work, was unnecessary. But soon as I heard that music . . . I was on board.

That new CD soundtrack is worth picking up too.

6. busdriver

busdriver Member

OK, I am out on this one till I see it.

7. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I seen the movie and I'm telling you if you didn't see the movie you need to go and see, I mean it's the best Rocky movie ever.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure, Rambo would say that.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, Ace. It was well worth it. We'll see Rocky later.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Enjoy

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I saw it last week, sort of kicking and screaming. I really, really liked it.

Lowered expectations helped a lot, I'm sure.

A good end to the series. I had the good fortune of never seeing Rocky V. I really liked 1 through 3, and thought IV was terrible.

The first one is by far the best and deserved the accolades it received. This is a nice capper.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I grew up watching Rocky. The first drive-in movie I saw was Rocky. I was 5. Seen every one of them, over and over with the exception of Rocky V. The original Rocky is, IMO, one of the great American movies ever made. Sometimes I watch it just for the Rocky/Adrian story, other times for the underdog story of hope. Sometimes I watch it just to get another glimpse of 1976.

Rocky II was very good, too. Rocky III was pretty good, too. Rocky IV had its moments and shouldn't be discounted for any reason. Rocky V, well, sucked.

Just got back from watching Rocky Balboa for the first time. It's slow, in the very best way, like Rocky, in that the story is put into a crockpot and allowed to cook over time. Nothing rushed. Real brisket isn't cooked in an hour. Neither is this storyline. None of the sequels comes within a million miles of the original, but this one comes close. The father-son talk in the street when Rocky tells his kid to live on his own terms made me teary because I've never had a real conversation with my dad; never will, either. Rocky's slowed-down verbal skills are offset by his humor. Loved that he incorporated the authentic Phila again, 30 years later. And, of course, the fight is pretty sweet, well-crafted, with images of 30 years of Rocky tied in. The closing scene punches you right in the basement. If you can't shed a tear here you probably can't shed one anywhere. Really a good movie. Closes it out wonderfully for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted