1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocker admits steroid use, says Selig looked the other way

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 12, 2008.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

You guys are missing the point. The story here isn't so much that Selig or baseball in general knew and did nothing. It's that Rocker is saying doctors hired by baseball and the players union were actively helping players (aiding and abetting, as it were) perform the illegal act of taking steroids for non-medical purposes. Isn't that the big bombshell here? Well, that and A-Rod's name coming up.

2. Steroids (yawn) are soooooo yesterday. The kids are all into illegal taping of practices these days.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes, doctors trying to keep people from killing themselves. What a scandal!

Seriously, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that doctors and/or trainers who suspected someone to warn that person about particularly dangerous types of usage, which is what I got from the article. Doctors treat people with all sorts of unhealthy behaviors. If they can't get them to stop that unhealthy behavior, the next step is to try and modify the behavior so it's less harmful. Doctors aren't cops nor should they be.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Just because the messenger is a moron doesn't mean his message is completely off. Yeah, Canseco's pretty much a major douche, but he wasn't wrong about everything he said.

5. cranberry

Canseco said yesterday or the day before that Clemens is innocent and McNamee is a liar. We're to the point now where we have morons refuting morons.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It would be a bombshell if he had any credibility. Put on your bullshit detectors and ask yourself if it seems credible that doctors were walking around offering unsolicited advice on using steroids.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seriously. Just what we need. Another admitted cheat and proven jackass trying to use Alex Rodriguez's name to get a little of the spotlight on himself.

8. cranberry

Probably just the beginning. Radomski went on probation two days ago so he's probably already shopping for a publisher.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Except that his behavior suggests otherwise. The guy who brought corroborating evidence of most of what he has had to say in the form of bank records and canceled checks, has kept a very low profile since the Mitchell Report came out. There's nothing stopping him from being an attention whore like Victor Conte. He's no longer in legal jeopardy.

He seems like a guy who just wants to get on with his life and not be in the spotlight. There is little to call his credibility into question. They offered him a deal: Tell the truth and you don't go to jail. Most people would suspect that he has little to gain in that situation by lying. Also, he's a street-wise Bronx guy who had a code. It's one of the reasons so many major leaguers turned to him. He seemed to know what he was talking about and he was reserved and not a blabbermouth. He never contacted players. He waited for them to contact him. He gave free advice--he wasn't always trying to cash in--and didn't push the stuff. Only after he got busted did he realize that at least one player, and likely several, had turned on him and didn't have his code, so he no longer felt the same obligation to protect them. I'd also bet anything that this isn't the guy who will look to cash in on his notoriety with a book. He actually declared what he made from what he sold and paid taxes on it and he lived in a modest-sized home. He seems like someone who doesn't want attention right now.

I could be wrong. But I will wait to see him shopping a book before I attribute the behavior to him (not that I'd actually see anything wrong with him writing a book... it just doesn't seem to be what he wants).

10. cranberry

Give him a chance. He was quiet because he was in legal jeopardy until about two days ago when he was sentenced. In fact, it was reported that he planned to plead the Fifth Amendment if asked to testify before Congress without immunity. I'd be very surprised if he takes a pass on his 15 minutes.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Actually, he's pretty much been 100 percent right on everything he's said...

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A lot of what he said was take rumors that most of us have heard and put them in print with no consideration at all of being able to back up his claims, including accusations based purely on observation from with no real inside knowledge.

Now he has taken to making claims about Alex Rodriguez in an attempt to drum up more interest even though I doubt he has any real knowledge there.

This isn't some guy we misjudged. This is an admitted steroid cheat who has had other drug and legal problems. This is a man who, if I remember the timing correctly, "wrote" much of his book while he was under house arrest. This is also a man with an axe to grind against Major League Baseball. Remember, he claims his career ended prematurely because he was unfairly blackballed. Never mind that everybody knew he was on steroids, he was a disruption in the clubhouse, he was always hurt and he could no longer run, hit for average or play defense.

I don't care if some of the shit he threw against the wall stuck. I still don't trust a word that scumbag has to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted