1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock. Paper. Scissors. Amazing.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by occasionally, Jun 11, 2006.

1. occasionally

occasionally Member

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've seen scrabble tournaments televised somewhere.

I'd pay to watch competitive Monopoly. Or Clue!

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

speaking of rock, paper, scissors...

http://sdfla.blogspot.com/2006/06/middle-district-news.html

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We heard.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/27784/

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'd watch the Candyland Championships.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

well, if it comes down to watching the rock paper scissors championship or watching a battle between that japanese guy and the grandma in a hot dog eating competition... tough choice

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

8. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

-----
    You probably played rock, paper, scissors when you were a kid, but we bet you never played it for $50,000. That's the big prize that awaits the winner in the Rock Paper Scissors Championship. Bud Light sponsored local competitions in bars throughout the country to find the best players, who advanced to the exciting national finals in Las Vegas. This special captures all the excitement of the sport, focusing on both the intensity and the insanity as players are eliminated and a victor is crowned. But this isn't just a blood sport, it's also high comedy as the program reveals the history of the game, the finer points of strategy and you the viewer can become a better rock paper scissors player. Dave Attel hosts.
    -----

Well, I didn't know sports was so prestigious that everyone want to be considered a sport. Think about it: You watch football or baseball or basketball, and the players and broadcasters will refer to their sport as "game" or just the name of the sport.

In other activities (rocks paper scissors in this case, poker, fishing, hot dog eating and especially auto racing), the participants (I won't call them "athletes"), broadcasters and writers go out of the way to refer to their activity as a "sport," even though it's brutally clear than nothing they do as even slightly athletic. (When I got a letter from NASCAR with my media credential, the letter mentioned the word "sport" four times. They went out of their way to shove it in my face as many times as possible.)

Here's four random recent auto racing quotes: (from a google news search of "auto racing" and "our sport" All from the last two days)
    “Silverstone is one of the circuits with the longest tradition for our sport. I’ve always enjoyed driving here, and I’m looking forward to the circuit this time, as well. It’s a great track that requires lots of fine-tuning for the setup because you need a really well-balanced car. I like tasks like this, and I’m sure that we’ll be able to put together something good for our car.” - Michael Schumacher, and he goes to talk about nothing that involved athletic ability
    --
    Most in open wheel racing would be happy should George and Kalkhoven shift talks about a merger into high gear.
    "Absolutely, it needs to happen. Our sport has suffered immensely," said Pat Jordan, formerly of Vancouver and a car chief for IRL team Dreyer & Reinbold. (Though the topic involves nothing required athletic ability)
    ---
    “The affiliation with Aaron’s has meant so much to the Pro Challenge Series,” said John Litzinger, owner of the Pro Challenge Series. “Their involvement on all levels of auto racing, especially in NASCAR has added a lot to the credibility for Pro Challenge and has given our series a big boost in exposure. Aaron’s has been very instrumental in the growth of the series and a lot of other short track series. It’s unique to have a sponsor get involved in racing on all different levels and really help promote the sport the way that Aaron’s does.”
    “They’re involved from the grassroots level in Pro Challenge, the mid-range level like Pro Cup and all the way up to the big time in NASCAR. We’re the grassroots level, so we really appreciate their support and we help market their company, so it’s a benefit to the both of us. Just look at how they’re involved in our sport and you can tell they’re a racer’s sponsor, that’s for sure.” (finds a way to jam the word "sport" in there twice)
    ---
    "There's a certain level of confidence that comes any time you have successes at a particular track, but past history doesn't guarantee you anything. It's a year later and a lot of things have changed, teams are working with new setups to go faster and, no matter what, there's always a new variable introduced. Our sport is constantly changing and you can't rest on what you've done in the past. I'm expecting a strong run from our team this weekend." - driver Brian Vickers

It's an inferiority complex because they know it's NOT a sport. But it still drives me nuts.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Duck, duck, duck, duck, duck, duck, duck......

[​IMG]

10. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I'd goose the chick in the gray tank top.

11. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Duck, duck, goose. It involves some athletic ability: running. Rocks, paper, scissors???

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

BUT HER FATHER'S THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY!

And she looks like she's about 16.

Draft saved Draft deleted