1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robin Roberts announcement on GMA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, Jul 31, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Good luck, Robin. Kick its ass.

Breast cancer runs in my mom's side of the family. My grandmother had a double mastectomy, my aunt has had lumps removed, and I think it goes up a few generations from there. My thoughts go out to Robin throughout her battle.

2. Take the tests, IJAG.
    Take the damn tests.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Robin's a hometown girl for us, so we've written quite a lot about her over the years. I saw her setting up for a shot the day after Katrina and pulled over to get a quick quote and vignette from her for our coverage. Not a hint of big-time in my brief dealing with her, and she's already talked with our reporter this morning for our coverage.

Wish her nothing but the best.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Was lucky enough to work a few women's hoops games with her at ESPN.
    Hard pressed to find a nicer person.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This news sucks.

Robin Roberts was one of the few things that was right about the WWL. She reported the story and left herself out of it. No ego. No smug, self-righteous tones. No making the story about her. A real pro.

My wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've watched Robin since she was on a local station in Atlanta, never have heard one cross word about her. Hope she beats this.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Another reminder we should appreciate every day we wake up and the sun rises.

God speed Robin.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Strength and courage are great but they don't always help. One of my best friends was diagnosed with cancer last August. He had as much strength and courage as anybody I've ever seen, and my dad battled bone cancer for 16 months. Didn't help my buddy. He died Thursday. Was only 40.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think strength and courage could make a difference in how well and how long a person lives with the disease. But don't know if it makes a difference in whether someone "beats it" or not.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I saw the announcement this morning and was quite touched by it. I was also touched by Diane Sawyer holding Robin's hand--it was a moment that you don't see on TV too often. I wish her well.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

well said. strength and courage help us to live life to the fullest as best we can while fighting cancer or any disease or disability. but to say it impacts on whether you "win" insults all who fight the brave fight in vain.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Sometimes, no matter what, it DOES have to be a death sentence.

Draft saved Draft deleted