1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

robertson, christian coalition announce support for adulterer giuliani

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

This is about Pat Robertson trying to be relevant. I think among the right-wing religious television (and we'll throw in radio for Dr. James Dobson) preachers, Robertson probably doesn't rank high. To quote Bob Dylan, "You just want to be on the side that's winning".

All these religious right people who say they won't vote for Rudy are full of beans. When it comes to voting for Rudy or Hillary or a third party, most of the true believers will vote for Rudy because a vote for a third party is a vote for Hillary. That is real politics and that is their politics.

These people who claim to vote for Republicans on religious grounds are ignoring a basic fact - the Republican party's big tent are the corporate interests that have ALWAYS run the party. The right-wing Christians don't have the juice. Neither Reagan nor Bush II have introduced or seriously pushed for a constitutional amendment banning abortions - and if abortions were banned, it would only be people without means who couldn't get abortions - either of the Bush daughters would be able to get safe abortions with no difficulty.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's a fair point on Robertson, though this is the first time he's gone so far from his conservative Christian platform to embrace someone. For many conservative Christians, if you oppose abortion and gay rights and support Israel, you're golden. Rudy's batting average is pretty low in that regard. At this point he might as well come out and say "my God is the Republican Party" because he's not even staying consistent with his own brand of Christianity.

Would conservative Christians hold their noses and vote for Rudy over Clinton if it comes down to those two? A lot of them, to be sure, but I do think there'd be more discussion among them about going third party (either starting their own or joining the Constitution Party), because both choices would be pretty unappetizing for them. Of course, the way many of us marginalize third-party supporters makes actually, you know, VOTING for them hard (and this isn't a Republican phenomenom -- there's still people who blame Nader and his voters for stealing the election from Gore and tried to dissuade him from running in 2004).

3. Pat?
    God would like a word with you.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071109/NEWS07/711090437/1009

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When I saw www.freep.com, I thought you were referring to Mitch.

5. Of course, to MSNBC, Bernie the crook is a "hero."

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted