1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robert Horry ... HOF???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Situation, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It certainly wasn't "dumb luck", he did knock down the ones that counted the most. BUT Horry absolutely is one of the most overrated players in history. He was the "right place right time" king--yeah, he was on 7 championship teams--but only started on two, and was like the 9th man off the bench for the last couple. Never made an all star team, never was a top tier player, and couldn't guard a lamppost in the latter years of his career. His name shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as the words Hall of Fame.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

He wasn't. Never made a single all star team his entire career. This thread is ridiculous.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing that he should be. And I noticed you left off the next line of my post -- that the night the column ran he hit another shot to win another NBA finals game. Kind of the point.

If clutch were allowed to exist, we'd be allowed to say he has a gift for the clutch.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It also lists his HOF probability at .055.

5. Mizzougrad96

By comparison, Iverson's HOF Probability is .998.

6. LongTimeListener

Find the guy who is .500 and we can discuss him.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got that. I wasn't trying to argue with you, just sorta felt like expanding on how overrated he is. If I left part of your post out, it's only because that wasn't the part that prompted my response.

8. Mizzougrad96

Interesting link...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_career.html

9. LongTimeListener

Funny thing is, the reason he hated "Big Shot Bob" is that he felt it diminished the rest of his game. I really never understood that, because when you take out the big shots there is no rest of his game, and he wins zero championships and plays half as long if that.

10. Mizzougrad96

He hit all those shots because the opposing team was covering all of the decent players who were on the floor with him. You know, the guys who actually stand a chance in hell of making it to Springfield. :D

11. Situation

Situation Member

At least one guy disagrees.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Horry-080527

12. LongTimeListener

That's an admirable man-crush Adande has. I hope they at least got to go to dinner.

I wonder if he'd think differently on that topic three years after Horry's retirement instead of the day after.

Draft saved Draft deleted