1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robbie Alomar

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Feb 11, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree. I thought Alomar was one of the kindest people I've ever dealt with--the complete opposite of his reputation. And I was a complete zero--he had nothing to gain by being nice to me.

He always gave off a haunted vibe though. I can't explain it but I've always thought it.

No idea, obviously, if this is true, but it would explain his sudden fade. (or, you know, what Trey says)

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Him turning 34 cloaked it very well, then.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

He had what was termed baseball-related problems in NY -- I never knew about the Tampa Bay report.
    I'm going to stay away from some of the personal stuff about him. I'm sure others will be happy to chime in, here or elsewhere. This report, if true, makes me incredibly sad, and if it's a bogus suit, it makes me incredibly angry that someone could file such charges.

It also bothers me greatly that she can offer details of his supposed rape. What about confidentiality for rape victims? If a man were filing suit against a woman, could he ever get away with saying she was supposedly raped?

4. Yeah, but if he faded that quickly (presumably because of HIV) and now has full-blown AIDS ... it's been seven years since that 2001 season. Shouldn't he be dead by now? I know people can survive many years with HIV, but what's the O/U on AIDS? It can't be too many years, can it?

EDIT: Sorry, my post was a reply to BYH.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Magic Johnson says otherwise.
    Plenty of well-funded men from all walks of life do, too.

6. That's why I said HIV, which is what Magic has. His HIV has never developed into AIDS, as far as I know.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Once you get started on the therapy, you can live for a very long time.

Jack, the Project Runway designer who was once a world class swimmer, has had it for more than 20 years.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Magic has survived with HIV and never developed AIDS becuase of his ability to afford the most sophosticated treatments.
    This report says Alomar has AIDS but gives no time frame as to when he contracted HIV and when it actually developed into AIDS.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wish I could find the evidence, but I believe Alomar was critical of John Rocker when Rocker joined the Indians in 2001.

Not that Alomar needed any deep-seated personal reason to criticize that racist rube, but I wonder if this could be why?

10. He's lived with AIDS for two decades? Damn.

I always thought it took you quickly because of the extremely low T-cell count.

Learn something new every day. Thanks.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Do sexual assault victims really have that legal protection?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Last time I heard anything about Magic was when he had HIV 18 years ago... does he have AIDS now?

Draft saved Draft deleted