1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Parker controversy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Unless you actually WANT to try the veal..... :-X

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's the best in the city.

[​IMG]

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i still don't get this "rob's my friend" stuff so "i'll stand by him no matter what."

what's this have to do with having an opinion of rob as a columnist? he's a great guy, we all agree. his column voice is far different than his real demeanor. fair enough. he's opted to play the role of "tough-guy columnist." also fair enough.

so then, friendships aside, we have an opinion on the quality of a man's writing. rob's a terrible writer. always has been, probably always will be.

being a good guy is irrelevant. being anyone's friend is irrelevant. he's a bad writer and acts in a sophomoric fashion. doesn't mean he's undeserving of our friendship; simply that it is difficult to defend him on a professional level.

imo, of course.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Unfortunately, your opinion won't stop the people here who love to drop names like they were coins in a fountain.....as if it gives them a certain cachet.

5. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

Anyone who knows Rob can see how this happened. He has a propensity for being a bit loose with things. We've all seen and heard him make some wild statements and have his voice rise as he tries to defend them. But because it wasn't a case of something he wrote, but rather something he said, I can't realistically see how he should be fired over this. He might be getting more negative attention than he bargained for, but it wasn't because he wrote something inaccurate or in bad taste. He just picked the wrong time to say something wacky. If he said it on ESPN, would there have been this flap?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A) Loose=reckless
    B) The ESPN part wouldn't come into account unless they were face to face.
    C) Had he not been called out, he would have written something on it. Instead, the subsequent shitstorm made the focus all about him and what he did, instead of his opinion/analysis.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

no, rob shouldn't be fired over this. but it should be a grand final straw to cost him the column. he never should have been anything beyond a beat writer anyway.

i've always believed general columnists need to be very smart and excellent writers. rob is neither.

again, imo.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, you know what happened to him after the veal.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I do know what happened to Sollozzo and McCluskey.

10. cvincent40

cvincent40 New Member

wouldn't it be amazing if one of rob's columns elicited this much passion??@?

11. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Thanks dude.

I'll just have the pepper steak, thanks.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Smart move...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.