1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Parker controversy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maybe this is a DB, but apparently yesterday Parker asked Rod Marinelli if he "wishes your daughter had married a better defensive coordinator."

Totally out of line, correct?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Was about to start a thread titled "NOW I know why Rob parker gets so much ESPN face time."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Detroit-columnist-mocks-Rod-Marinelli-during-pre?urn=nfl,130613

Fair to ask about D-coordinator. Fair to ask a question - properly phrased - about how the D-coordinator continues to draw a paycheck. On an 0-15 team, that's fair to ask about anyone on the staff.

Not fair to badger and basically disrupt a press conference. "I've got this angle where I'm going to focus on the D-coordinator and accuse coach of nepotism. Gotta stay with it!"

And the column he wrote:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081222/OPINION03/812220369/1004

3. FreshTracks

FreshTracks New Member

Parker comes across like a moron and his column defense is weak. Question was in poor taste, and especially poorly worded. If you don't find his behavior embarassing as a sports journalist, I don't know what to say.

The guy should be canned, if only because his columns are generally terrible. Not that the Detroit News isn't looking for reasons to cut costs or anything.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And the discussion has been going strong on the sports and news board for a full day -- hasn't left the front page...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/65032/

5. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

He should have his press pass revoked. His question was classless.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Slappy, I'm always slow to criticize on this kind of duplication.

I rarely visit the sports and news threads. I visit the professional threads every day.

This is clearly appropriate for either, but I'd make the case it's even more fitting here.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

MAYBE it is?

C'mon, man!

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perhaps. But A) with this board's reputation and penchant for piling on (myself included), would one think we'd ignore it for a full day? and B) with A in mind, would a cursory glance have hurt?

An hour is one thing; a day?

And Parker's out of line on any board.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ah well, you never know. When I'm off a couple of days, I'll come back and be astounded that some seemingly critical piece of industry news hasn't been posted here yet. Oh, well.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

News, I'll give you. Bashing? We're all over it.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The crazies are out with their pitchforks in the comments section.

Not that he doesn't deserve it.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Marinelli would have been justified in jumping out from behind the podium and punching out that moron.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.