1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roast of Joan Rivers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

This could actually be very funny.

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/roast_rivers/index.jhtml

Not sure about Kathy Griffin as roastmaster, but should be funny.

Funnier than Flavor Flav, who ranks at the bottom.

My top 3 list; IMHO.

1. Pam Anderson
    2. William Shatner
    3. Dennis Leary

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Kathy Griffin is hilarious...

3. Mizzougrad96

The Leary roast didn't have a real edge because most of the guys roasting him wouldn't have careers without Leary. You could just tell they liked him too much.

Flavor Flav was bad. It was still much better than the Chevy Chase one, which was a trainwreck. No big names at all...

The Shatner roast was great. The Pam Anderson one was great. I liked the Saget one.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about this thus far. Can't wait to see all the jokes thrown at Robin Quivers (Howard Stern's sidekick). Apparently she did fairly well for a non-comedienne.

5. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The Rob Reiner roast was epic for two reasons:

It contained Jeff Ross's first "Bea Arthur" joke: "I wouldn't fuck her (Sandra Bernhardt) with Bea Arthur's dick."

And...it had Triumph.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Question: Can you really roast something already that desiccated?

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree! And because that and the Hugh Hefner one were with the Friars' Club, I don't think Comedy Central shows them anymore. It's unfortunate, because I love the Hefner one, which has (of all people) Gilbert Gottfried doing a great segment.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

No way they're gonna top the joke made at her expense in "The Simpsons" episode where Homer and Ned go to Vegas. Joan is trying to convince Homer and Ned to see her show. Ned pulls away frantically as Joan yells "BUT MY DAUGHTER HAS NO TALENT!!!!"

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Yeah, from what I've heard the comedians were barred from making jokes about Melissa. Apparently, Joan's face is fair game though.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Melissa gets in a couple shots at mama, though.

11. Mizzougrad96

I can sympathize with Joan a little about the Melissa ban. Without it, the whole roast would be ripping her talentless wanna-be of a daughter.

But it's a roast. Your husband's suicide is fair game, but your daughter isn't?

I've seen Joan Rivers in concert twice. Once in Lake Tahoe in the late 1980s and once about two years ago. My stepmother and mother-in-law are fans. She was absolutely hilarious both times.

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

OK. That's just wrong coming from a guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted