1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roanoke Times designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RoanokeTimes, Dec 7, 2006.

1. RoanokeTimes

RoanokeTimes New Member

Just caught up with the posts about the position we just hired. Thanks to those of you for the kind words you sent my way and to the paper. We have posted a new position on APSE and SND, and I wanted to be sure everyone was clear that this was a new one. We just lost our lead designer to Richmond, Va., after a great five-year run here in SW Va. and the "heart" of ACC country. It is true that this is the fourth desk position we've had to hire for since last Feb. Two of the losses were to the news copydesk (they were ready for something different) and the others were to the Detroit News and now Richmond. I've already got one candidate coming in, so check out the ad and let me know if you are interested. We want to hire as soon as we can. I made my living designing our sports section for about seven years, so presentation is very important to me and our staff. And we're beginning to change the ways we do some things here that will make this an even better place for talented designers to grow.

Jeff Gilbert

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Is it just me or have there been a lot of openings for copy editors?

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Roanoke is a beautiful town, and the paper is nice. I think this is a good gig,

4. "Is it just me or have there been a lot of openings for copy editors?"

I'm not trying to go all Dye Pack with this, but truth is, there have been very few openings for copy editors, and a lot for designers. They are different jobs, especially at bigger papers that have the resources to have different people do both.

Check out this thread title. It is for a designer, and the explanation for the job is all about the visuals that go with being a designer — not a copy editor.

5. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

This is a top-notch gig. Someone could be very comfortable in Roanoke for a very long time with this job. And the SE, Jeff Gilbert, is one of the best.

Those of you that are qualified should jump on this one. Quick.

6. RoanokeTimes

RoanokeTimes New Member

This position is still open. We set our sights on someone very talented but a larger paper won out. Win some, lose some. Still looking for the right person.

The Roanoke Times, a 97,000-circulation daily in the heart of ACC country, is looking for a creative and collaborative designer to join its 15-person sports department.

The ideal candidate will have daily newspaper experience, will have demonstrated the ability to design high impact pages on deadline and will have produced great-looking special sections and dedicated weekly pages at a daily newspaper. And we want someone who is good at taking what's been handed to them and adding their own touches and ideas to make it even better. The candidate would be asked to collaborate with reporters, photographers, graphic artists and online producers to tell stories and present information in compelling ways. Fresh, innovative thinkers encouraged.

There will be other duties as well, so experience at copy editing and headline writing is a must. You will also be asked to share ideas on how to make our sports content – in print and online – appeal to both hardcore and casual sports fans.

Our section puts an emphasis on covering ACC sports, primarily Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia. We also place priority on covering prep sports as well as outdoor recreation and NASCAR. The Roanoke Valley, located in the beautiful mountains of Southwest Virginia, is also home to Class A minor league baseball.

Proficiency in InDesign and Photoshop is helpful, but not required. Night and weekend work required.

The Roanoke Times is owned by Landmark Communications, which also owns The Virginian Pilot, the Greensboro News & Record, The Weather Channel and dozens of other smaller dailies, weeklies and broadcast outlets. We work in a team environment offering excellent pay, health and dental insurance, 401(k), pension plan, life insurance, tuition reimbursement and outstanding growth opportunities within Landmark.

The Roanoke Times is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Apply online at jobs.roanoke.com and send a cover letter, resume and 6-8 work samples to:

Jeff Gilbert
    Sports Editor
    The Roanoke Times
    P.O. Box 2491
    Roanoke, VA 24010

You may also e-mail to:
    jeff.gilbert@roanoke.com.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Thank you, sportshack.

I still don't understand why people think a designer position is the same as a copy editing position, or worse, that it can and should be advertised as a copy editing position.

They are not the same thing.

I guess I'm also curious as to why design burnouts would shift over to the copy desk, or be allowed to do so, but maybe the area is attractive and the newspaper loathes the idea of hiring people who know how to edit copy.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If I didn't say it before, let me say it now: The Big Moddy Seal. Roanoke is a good place, Jeff is a good guy.

9. boots

boots New Member

Add that with the boots seal of approval and you have a true winner.

10. I'm not doubting this is a great position, nor am I doubting the two seals of approval.

Just saying, don't think it's a copy-editing position. It's clearly a design position. And they are two different things.

11. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

Get over it, SportsHack. It says designer in the ad.

And you gotta be a good one one to land in Roanoke.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Any updates on this job?

Draft saved Draft deleted