1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road trip: Atlantic City

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jun 18, 2014.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Spending 4 days there next week. Might shoot up to NYC for an afternoon; otherwise, we're staying at the Golden Nugget. I'll probably do most of my gambling next door at Harrah's, but as far as food/drink/entertainment recommendations, I'm all ears. Whatcha got?

Definitely need a good spot to watch US-Portugal on Sunday evening.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

White House Sub Shop

http://whitehousesubshop.net/

Italian Submarine

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you're a golfer, you must play Atlantic City Country Club.

White House sub shop is a legendary place, but don't go at the height of the lunchtime rush hour; the place is jammed. I stumbled across Angelo's that night, for dinner, and had a great meal.

4. JackReacher

White House Sub Shop and Picalilly Pub are the two places I've been told to visit thus far by friends who were up there not long ago. We're definitely going there. Thanks!

Also, I feel like I have to play some poker at the Taj. Is it because I've been watching Rounders at least once a week for the better part of a decade, or is it still a pretty cool experience? As I said before, I'll likely do most of my gambling at Harrah's to rack up some points on the Rewards card, but I'm definitely interested at throwing a few chips around elsewhere if I get a good tip.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Just go to the Borgata. It's got everything you need and isn't falling apart like 80 percent of the rest of the city.

6. JackReacher

I'm sure I'll stop by the Borgata and check it out. Maybe have dinner or something. Won't spend too much time, there, though. We like to explore, even in cities that are falling apart. I will be staying at the Borgata for a poker tournament in November, though.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love Atlantic City. I lived in Ventnor a lifetime ago.

The White House is a must.

I go to visit family in NJ about once a year, and always hit AC.

I like the poker room at the Showboat. Good traffic and beatable.

Don't really go to the bayside much. I like to stick to the boardwalk.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed playing poker at the Taj (and that may have a lot to do with the fact that won $1,200 in about six hours). It's fun to sit down and look around and recognize the details from that scene in Rounders.

Do yourself a favor and play mini-golf for skins on the boardwalk with some friends (eight of us in two groups played for $2 per hole and it got interesting when we halved eight in a row). That'll be some of the most fun you'll have gambling and at least one of you will finish in the black.

9. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

for relatively cheap eats the borgata has a downstairs cafeteria near the poker room with a tony lukes in it. get the pork italian style

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

My colleagues recommend the Irish Pub on St. James. The food is awful, and the rooms scary. But I hear the beer is cheap.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love the Irish Pub. The food is not fine dining, but it's not terrible.
    The Chelsea is also a great bar, or at least it used to be.

I think the poker room at the Taj is in a different location than it was when 'Rounders' was filmed.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I should note that the last time I played there was 2006, so it may very well be different now.

Also, there was a steakhouse in the Sands that I remember being pretty good.

Draft saved Draft deleted