1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road to Omaha thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 25, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As disappointed as I am that the Beavs are out - at least they didn't lose on a walk-off. And they didn't hit enough to deserve to win.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Kennesaw State is the Owls? Not the Mountain Landis?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Or the Fighting Newts?

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Hard to believe yesterday's Texas starter doesn't throw harder than 83. And that's a top program?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maryland v UVa Big10/ACC matchup.
    not quite though,, Md doesnt officially enter the Big10 until July 1.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You'd think every one of their guys would be at least 87-89, which seems standard for major Division I programs, but it's not always about velocity. Jamie Moyer, Greg Maddux and Mark Buehrle have all had long and distinguished major league careers, and none of them throw harder than the upper 80s.

And, to be fair, it was also Texas' fourth game in four days. Like most other teams at this stage, the guy you throw in the championship game isn't necessarily your best. It's probably either someone coming back on very short rest, a midweek starter, or a reliever you're hoping to get five good innings out of.
    You're also playing match ups at that point. They'd played A&M twice already. If they've seen a couple of hard throwers, it's not a bad idea to change things up, go with a slower guy, and get them off-balance. Throwing 83 mph with good command can be as effective as throwing 98 mph.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Greg Maddux worked 92-94 at his peak. When he dropped down to the high 80s, he was a very ordinary pitcher.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interesting that of the 10 SEC teams in the regionals, the only two that advanced (Vandy & Ole Miss) are the ones who have been the chokingest dogs in the past.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He was still an effective pitcher, though, even if he wasn't dominant, which was my point.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mark Buehrle can't break a pane of glass with his fastball either, and he's 10-1 with a 2.10 ERA.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bill Lee, who had a decent career, once made a public service ad for highway safety, telling Massachusetts residents not to exceed the 55 mph speed limit. "Don't go faster than my fastball."

12. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

I'm truly excited about Double-A baseball at the NCAA level. Take the school labels off and...yawn.

Draft saved Draft deleted