1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road to Omaha begins -- NCAA baseball tourney field announced

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, May 26, 2008.

1. WS

WS Member

The NCAA wanted a regional up there, and Michigan was decent enough. It seems like every year, theres one No. 2 seed hosting somewhere either because of geographic location or because they have a big stadium that will sell out and bring in money (for the NCAA)

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

California teams screwed again for having too many good teams. Long Beach regional -- Long Beach State, Fresno State, Cal and San Diego. Great that the teams don't have to spend too much on travel (aside from the $4.19-plus a gallon for gas in Cali), but I'm shocked they don't have at least one out of state team in that regional.

At least my college alma mater, Fullerton, will have some out of state foes.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If St. John's hadn't crapped the bed in the Big East Tournament, they would have hosted a regional for the same reason.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Where?

5. John

John Well-Known Member

As good as Georgia was for much of the regular season, I'm shocked it got one of the top eight seeds. The Dogs played poorly once they clinched the SEC and then went 0-2 in Hoover last week.

6. Della9250

On campus in Queens.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

SJU has a nice enough facility to host?

8. Della9250

The Mets built their stadium in 2000, cost about $5 mil, so that the Brooklyn Cyclones would have a place to play for a year before their park was finished. Seats 3,500 and is pretty nice and modern. It's good enough to host and try to drum up interest in Northeast.

9. I call upset and say Missouri wins the Miami regional.

Texas and Rice in the same regional? Screw me sideways.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Interesting that Chapel Hill's regional is being played at the USA Baseball training facility in Cary ...

I hope the ECU folks aren't barking too loudly about having to go to Conway. Their inferiority complex knows few bounds ...

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pac-10 and Big West the two best conferences west of the Rockies. So the committee stacks one super regional bracket with the No. 2 (Stanford) and No. 3 Pac-10 team (UCLA), and one Big West co-champion (CSUF) team,
    along with Davis and Pepperdine, and stacks another SR bracket with Pac-10 No. 1 (ASU), No. 4 (Cal) and Big West co-No. 1 (LBSU), along with Fresno State and San Diego.

Arizona gets stuck in Miami's SR bracket.

Meanwhile the nine SEC teams are spread out among seven SRs, and the ACC and Big 12 among 5 SR brackets.

The minute I hear the drawl in Templeton's voice, I know the Western teams will (once again) have a tougher time making it to Omaha while the ACC, which hasn't won the thing in 52 years, is set up with three top seeds among the top four, and the SEC is taken care of.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

As per tradition, I'll buy a round for the board the second someone sends Wichita State home.

Draft saved Draft deleted