1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road to Omaha begins -- NCAA baseball tourney field announced

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, May 26, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, I realized that about 10 minutes later, because Arizona plays Miami. A real "duh" moment.

So by all means LSU should win so you can go to Omaha again, even tho I hear they've moved the media hotel out to Iowa since the last time I was there.

2. jcrutchmer

jcrutchmer Guest

It's not quite that bad. The media hotel is not in Council Bluffs.

However, the media headquarters will be in the Council Bluffs ROOM at the Embassy Suites Old Market in downtown.

So if it has an Iowa feel, it's probably just the room.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Do they load the room's air freshners with that unique Council Bluffs aroma to complete the feel?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

obviously you know nothing about this team nor its schedule. but thanks for weighing in.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'd settle for a yes or no next time there's beer bath at the doublewide

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Clearly, I missed a memo somewhere ...

7. Johnny Dangerously

Is the Sleep Inn near the airport the only media hotel this time? I haven't been since 2005, and every year I've been I stayed at that Courtyard in the Old Market area.

About the Sleep Inn, can anyone tell me:

-- Is airport noise a factor in trying to sleep, or is it far enough away?

-- Is it a decent hotel overall?

-- Beds comfortable?

-- Problems with work desks/wireless or any such thing?

-- Any other things we should be concerned about if we go and stay there?

-- Credential pick-up, media headquarters, etc. is all at the Embassy Suites?

Thanks.

8. Major Batman

Major Batman Member

Hey JD, Here's some Sleep Inn details.

Last year was the first year the Sleep Inn was the media hotel. It is near the airport and other than a strip club across the street and a gas station, there's not much to do without a car. Hopefully you have a car or can arrange a chauffeur.

I stayed there last year and the airport was not a noise factor for me. It is down the street for the airport, not really adjoining. The hotel was fine. Clean room that had a fridge and microwave. The internet did not work when I checked in. I told the front desk and they took care of it and had it working in a few minutes.

The credential pickup is at a downtown hotel but it is on the way from the Sleep Inn to the ballpark so I picked my pass up on the way to the coaches media day the day before the first games.

The press box food last year was well - free but that's as far as I would go so I paid for some food last year at times. Famous Dave's Riblets are a must have at the park. They've moved from inside the stadium to the souvenir row across the street. A steak sandwich inside the park is another must. I liked the Zestos burger OK but it is more of a novelty than a delicacy.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Thanks, Major Batman. Sounds like I should be OK at that hotel if I go, and the rest seems pretty familiar, albeit with a few changes.

I appreciate it.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Andy Dirks, a senior who I covered in high school, now has a 30-game hitting streak after an RBI double put the Shockers up 3-1 at Florida State. It's now 5-2 going to the bottom of the fifth. I would love to see that kid make the CWS, he's as humble as they come.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

A Super 8 on the West side served as an overflow media motel last year. Don't know if that will be the case this year, though.

Pretty much the same as the Sleep Inn, nothing luxurious, but the basics are covered. It is also closer to restaurants, etc., and five minutes from Boys Town, which is where the team I cover practiced.

Would have no qualms about staying there again.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I hope to see UCI and CSF reach Omaha again this year. I also expect Arizona State to cruise past Fresno State.

Draft saved Draft deleted