1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riverside?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 5, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Happily, the guy I know best there is still there. Unhappily, he's not happy.

2. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

If anyone has info about the copy or design desks, I'd be grateful to hear it.

I agree with everything Birdscribe said, and not just because I worked there. It was a great paper filled with great people. This sucks.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Got this from a friend out that way about one of the people let go:

Diamond Leung was one of the six laid off from sports yesterday.
    Here's a Dodger Thoughts entry about Diamond. It's got about 100 really thoughtful comments from readers. One was particularly astute: something along the lines of how his biggest fans never paid a dime to read him. That, it seems, was why he was laid off.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgerthoughts/2009/03/dodger-beat-wri.html

He's an awesome dude, fanatical about the web and blogging and had filled an online niche that few other pro beat writers had yet to grasp. I'd say without question he was the most tech savvy reporter on staff.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Got an e-mail from a former co-worker who made the cut. This time. And the P-E is now down to two prep writers. TWO. For like 100-plus schools.

Six total cuts, including two on the desk.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

PaulO with his as-usual dead-on assessment.

http://www.oberjuerge.com/?p=667

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

An excellent analysis of what's happened in a major market. People in LA might not have read the P-E sports coverage, but the fact that it was comprehensive as it was kept the LA writers on their toes. Everyone loses.

Good luck to all the former P-E staffers.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

This retrenchment, which is what it is, literally ends a 25-year era. In the early '80s, the Press (city) and Enterprise (county) merged to form a mid-size morning paper. Staff grew over the years, as did the reach and depth. Heavy into zoning, with more and more big-time coverage (pro beats, Olympics) and the bulldozing into adjacent San Bernardino County. The product was well-received by the thousands of newcomers who poured into cheaphousingland well into the '90s. The economy's sudden turn in what became foreclosureland hurt, as did some low-hanging-fruit making decisions at home and in Dallas (CueCat?). Lots of good folks there, but they are in survival-at-best mode now, along with much of the area's population. Tough times all around.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Riverside already has a pro soccer stringer, who has a column and is at Home Depot Center pretty much every other day working on stories. He does an excellent job, for what it's worth.

As with cuts, these things start with the smaller beats - soccer, hockey - and move up the chain.

And, my standard sad comment: Readers do not care.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

There was a five paragraph brief about the layoffs inside Saturday's Buisness section, reporting there were more than 40 layoffs, more than half in editorial.
    It ends "(Publisher Ron) Redfern said readers should not expect to see any immediate changes in the newspaper or its Web site."
    Nope, no changes. Instead of a report on the Dodgers and blog entries from Diamond Leung, I got a few paragrahs from the AP this a.m.
    Also AP stories on home UCLA and USC basketball games.
    Let's just keep lying to your few remaining readers, Mr. Redfern, and hope they're stupid enough to believe you.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Man, that is just a flat-out lie, isn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted