1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivera to Yanks: bring back Torre or else.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 10, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'd like to prove that statement wrong.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Inmates don't run the asylum. Bye, Mo.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think Mariano would have carried a lot more weight with this if it had come up say, three years ago.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Your point is clearer, grasshopper. But if Rivera chooses not to re-sign, then he'll be going out on his own terms. I doubt the Yankees will say, Hey, we fired Torre, so fuck you Rivera.

And if fewer people go to the games next year, then great, more tickets for me in the final year of the Stadium.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

This does not exactly sound like an "or else" ultimatum to me:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3057292

Rivera was unhappy in the spring when they did not extend his contract and said then he would file for free agency and listen to offers if the Yankees didn't step up. The Torre situation is just one more aspect.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Rivera still is damn good, but he certainly wasn't a lock to nail down every save chance like he was in past seasons.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's what I'm thinkin'.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't assume Torre would leave on bad terms. I get the feeling he's ready to move on anyway.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Agreed. I realized late in the season that I was feeling what most fans feel when their closer comes in: Will he have his good stuff or will he blow the lead?

It was a strange feeling after so many years of sheer dominance from him, but every player's time comes. That said, I'd still rather they re-up Rivera.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Angola, I think they will try. I heard an interview with Cashman yesterday and he was typically evasive about everything....except saying that they want to bring Rivera back.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That's the feeling I'm gettting. Maybe it's the end of the season, but he just looks...tired, and not the Barry Bonds kind of tired.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Rivera wants 2 years plus a team option, Cashman should give him about 14-15 mil a year. If he won't take anything less than 3 years, guarenteed, I think Cashman will let him walk.

Draft saved Draft deleted