1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivalry Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 3, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

And you have to love it being called "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" even if the NCAA does not approve.

2. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know it says rivalry and not football rivalry, but if you think Mizzou-KU is on the same level as Bama-Auburn, you're on crack.

4. Mizzougrad96

I've been to five Florida-Georgia games and my only real criticism of it is that the rivalry doesn't seen to have similar levels of hatred on both sides, something that I'm guessing is a direct result of Spurrier kicking the shit out of them the entire time he was coach.

These days, Florida assumes it's going to win and Georgia assumes it's going to lose.

After Spurrier quit, I think the Orlando Sentinel had a Q&A with Spurrier where they asked him what his worst loss was.

I read the question and thought, "Well, duh, the beating Nebraska gave them that cost them the national title."

Spurrier answered that the worst one for him was the one time Florida lost to Georgia when he was coach.

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was just saying that not being in the same state doesn't lessen the rivalry. Not being good at football does. And as much as they hate each other, Kansas City is a pretty civilized place, so you don't see some of the crazy antics like you do in Alabama.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Klingons vs. humans is pretty intense, or it will be in several hundred years.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Until Bobby Bowden showed up, most older Florida grads consider Georgia their biggest rival because they rarely lost to Florida State.

Until Steve Spurrier showed up, most younger Florida grads consider Florida State their biggest rival because they rarely lost to Georgia.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Jake speaks the truth on this. The intensity is always there for football, but I doubt it'll rise to the 2007-08 levels again in my lifetime.... especially 2007.

In basketball, the vitriol is always there, and always will be.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

The most intense rivalry with the most hatred?
    Democrats vs. Republicans

11. Mizzougrad96

Excellent points.

12. Mizzougrad96

The vitriol is there, but when one team always beats the shit out of the other, is it really a rivalry?

Draft saved Draft deleted