1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ripping your current employer on Facebook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Same here, but mainly to combat crazy ex's, not so I can say stupid stuff, I do that enough already. I actually got a notification on Facebook yesterday saying "no one can search for you due to your security settings." Well, good. Saying negative stuff about your employer on social media is just moronic. Almost as bad as a Facebook friend who's a teacher writing a long status about what horrible kids she teaches.

And realistically, it would be just as dumb to rip former or potential employers on Facebook. If you ever wanted a new job, they might black ball you just because.

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Dumb.

And if you lose your job and want to vent ... wait until after you get your last severance check.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even do it then. Why napalm the bridge unnecessarily, and what's the big upside that you're going to gain?

If it's that important for someone to get the last word in by ripping a former employer on a social media site, then the case could be made that the ex-employee was at least part of the real problem all along.

4. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

Oh, definitely. I have never ripped my employer on Facebook, nor will I ever. I just don't want anyone in the world looking at my profile.
    On a vaguely related note, a colleague posted a story he had just written on his wall (the headline as a status and the rest of the story posted as a comment) minutes after we went to press. I called him out on it and explained why that was such a bad idea. His response was to unfriend me.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The best part is when people in a different department of your newspaper are vocally, loudly bitching about the way the newsroom covers certain things, without merit, and doing so on the company's own Facebook page.

There's something to be said for not ripping a teammate in public.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

My stories I will post at times, mainly my column or if I do a bigger story. I've noticed some people I don't know have started to subscribe to me, so I'll link stories under the public security settings for subscribers to see. However, if I link a straight article, I won't write commentary above it.

Draft saved Draft deleted