1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ripping other scribes...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mighty_Wingman, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I was going to post this on the Jeff Jacobs thread, but I didn't want to interrupt the debate about how to address coaches. So here we go.

In this week's Sports Illustrated, SportsJournalists.com board fave Austin Murphy goes out of his way to bash some Florida beat guy...makes it his lead, in fact. Very strange, and totally pointless.

Murphy wrote a story about how Florida has bounced back from its midseason loss to Auburn, and it's all because Urban Meyer didn't quit on Chris Leak. He's describing the scene in the postgame interview room:

Later in the story, he refers to the same reporter as "Windbreaker."

So let's recap, Austin: A reporter is a jerk for "baiting" Urban Meyer by wondering why a four-year starter would play like dogshit in a big game.

Because he dares to question the great and wise Urban, you have a right -- or a duty! -- to make fun of what he's wearing. When you're finished with that, you call him a homer for good measure, then get back to blowing Urban Meyer, one of the biggest shithead coaches in America.

Great.

(And no, for the record, I don't cover UF. Nor do I have any idea which of the Florida hacks Murphy's talking about in this story. Nor do I care.)

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i got a good idea who it may be -- but the more important question is how did windbreaker address meyer, as 'urban' or as 'coach'?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it's funny. It's also why I never wear ill-gotten booty to sports events. I sell it on ebay.

4. hackhack

hackhack New Member

want respect? don't wear graft.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i hope that's a joke

6. Mighty_Wingman

All too true. And the guys -- there are a lot of them out there -- who are total whores for the graft are embarassing.

BUT, this is a story in Sports Illustrated, two months after the fact, about Meyer's and Leak's relationship. Bashing some dude for daring to ask Meyer why his quarterback played well isn't just unnecessary for the story, it's downright stupid. Not to mention, for lack of a better word, tacky.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It is. Of course I wear it to games. I like to blend in.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Austin must have been reading some SJ before deadline, and felt left out. One needn't go further than here to see some good examples of fellow-journalist ripping. :)

9. Mighty_Wingman

True. But my whole point is that there's a time and a place.

Well, I guess that was one of my points, the other being that Austin Murphy is a dick. But whatever.

10. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

However in Chicago, scribes wripping on each other is sport

11. the clown shouldn't have been wearing the jacket

12. Mighty_Wingman

I feel like we're missing the point here. Sure, the guy shouldn't have been wearing the jacket.

But am I the only one bothered by Murphy ripping the guy for asking a totally reasonable post-game question?

Draft saved Draft deleted