1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ripping (alleged) HS student?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DirtyDeeds, Oct 3, 2009.

1. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

OK, so the Tampa Bay area's "edgy" tabloid gets this letter, from an alleged HS student. Prints in the letter, then prints TWO pages of reader comments, mostly ripping said HS student. Now, I don't know what the vetting process was, but it seems that they informed the kid that it would be printed (maybe?), but he wanted to stay anonymous. Still, I have an issue with printing this, not really on journalstic grounds so much as moral grounds. The whole thing just feels smarmy. And I feel bad for the "kid." But it might be a hoax.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/schools/2009/10/pasco-student-we-dont-need-no-more-education.html

You can look it up on the actual site, in Thurs and Fri editions, but their archiving system sucks.

EDIT: Forgot the link.
    http://tampabaytimes.ussrv06.newsmemory.com/index.php

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, something's not right there. Perhaps the hoax is self-inflicted, so to speak.

3. sg86

sg86 Member

If you're sending in a letter to the editor, you're opening yourself up to criticism.

This shouldn't be looked at in the same way as ripping a kid for a fumble or an interception or something.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Not to make excuses for this kid, but I think part of the problem with whippersnappers today is that they're so used to texting that this is proper English to them. Texting and IMing are such a part of their culture they don't even think about it when they write something like this.
    My best friend's little brother is a college freshman and you should see his facebook updates. If its not schoolwork, it doens't matter.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Why not? He's still in high school. I have an issue with putting a high-school kid up for public ridicule like that. Did you read any of the letters from Day 2? Just uncalled for, in my opinion.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I still question whether a student wrote that.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I think it might be a hoax, too. But that's all the more reason not to print it. One of the letters points out the many inconsistencies in misspellings, grammar and usage, so I don't think it's legit. But I thought it said somewhere they had confirmed it and the student asked that the name be withheld. Certainly they must have contacted the letter writer first, no? I sure hope so.

ETA: From the letters printed on Friday:

Draft saved Draft deleted