1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ripken and Gwynn only Hall of Famers this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Stirring up the pot, obviously, but who, really made a bigger difference over the course of his career: Tony Gwynn? Or Goose Gossage?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember a Steve Garvey bumpersticker back in the day of his paternity suits...

"Steve Garvey is not my Padre..."

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

TOMMY FREAKIN' JOHN, PEOPLE! Where's the love?

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If it's not Buhner, it will be Steve Buechele or Andy McGaffigan or some scrub of that variety. It's always going to be someone who has no right being listed with the other.

And Buhner -- talk about someone who fit the roided-up profile. Square-headed lug, premature hair loss, newfound wellspring of power. Uh, yeah.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Are votes for guys like Buhner and Bichette stupid? Yes.
    But you can put as many as 10 names on the ballot so if some clown wants to vote for his pal Dante or his buddy Jay as his 9th or 10 selection, so what. It has NO effect on who gets in or not.

And as for all this bullshit about taking peoples' votes away...who would be the judge of what constitues an offense that leads to having your vote taken away?
    Anyone who disagrees with some of you morons should have their voting privilege revoked.
    Fuck that shit.
    Who made you motherfuckers the arbiters of the Hall of Fame?

6. Well-stirred.
    But Gwynn is a seamhead pet, so...

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd say Gossage was more dominant... I remember in the early 80s, he was the best closer in the game... As great as Gwynn was, he was never the best at his position...

Bottomline, both should be in Cooperstown.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't think you're going to get many here who don't think Gossage belongs in the Hall, as does Gwynn. How Gossage is still out is baffling.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ladies and gentlemen, the role of Spnited will be played today by Alec Baldwin.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Will he go to lunch?

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Playing in Denver obviously favorably skewed Bichette's stats (as playing in the Polo Grounds favorably skewed every New York Giant star), but from 1993-99 he averaged 28 homers and 118 RBI, with a best of .984 combined slugging/on-base percentage in 1995 and a worst of .853 in 1997.

Not HOF numbers, but he's a solid Hall of Pretty Good candidate. Plus he was fun to watch.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Coffee is for closers

Draft saved Draft deleted