1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ripken and Gwynn only Hall of Famers this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Jan 9, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I just want to hear the true justification of somebody filing a vote for Jay Buhner. I want to hear that he had some misguided reason for doing it. Or I want to hear that he did it because Jay Buhner's an old drinking buddy, so that the guy may be drummed out of the association.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

He did average 41 HR and 132 RBI from 1995-97.

Eh, nevermind...

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Outing alert: That voter = Frank Costanza

4. Hate to say it, but this looks like Jim Rice is done.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Given that it was well understood that McGwire wasn't going to make it, hasn't the AP's guy got the lead backwards ...

Mark McGwire fell far short in his first try for the Hall of Fame, picked by 23.5 percent of voters while Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. easily gained baseball’s highest honor.

... isn't who got in still more important that who didn'\t?

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I guess JDV writes for the AP, too. I can't believe he never mentioned that, whatever.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree. He's going to end up the next Nellie Fox.

His last best shot is next year, when there's no first-timer on the ballot. Would be cool to have Goose and Rice in on the same year.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Three votes? Thank you very much! One of my favorite all-time players, and a cornerstone of the Blake Street Bombers.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The asterisk next to Garvey's name means this was his last year of eligibility. Offspring across the country are sad.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Well that was the last time. Buhner, and all others who got less than five percent of the vote, won't be on the ballot next year.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Which, if you think about it, when Garvey played in the '70s he was Mr. All-American, had his own consecutive games streak and was a decent player in a big market (and then helped lift the Padres to the World Series in '84) ... I bet a lot of people thought he'd be a Hall of Famer.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I feel bad for Gossage... He deserves to be in...

Congrats to Gwynn and Ripken...

Congrats to the writers for snubbing McGwire...

Draft saved Draft deleted