1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Yogi Berra, 90

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 23, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He didn't say half the things he said.

RIP.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Joe Garagiola must be devastated.

4. Abe Vigoda

Abe Vigoda Member

5. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

You take his entire baseball career, as player and manager, and the fact that he was a folk hero for over half a century, and you think that's an awfully full life . . . and then you remember that he was also part of the D-Day invasion and earned a Purple Heart.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Awesome.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I always loved that his return to Yankee Stadium and thawed relations with Steinbrenner included him catching the first pitch from Don Larson, just before David Cone threw the second perfect game in Yankees history. RIP.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Jeter on Yogi's passing (via The Player's Tribune):
    To those who didn’t know Yogi personally, he was one of the greatest baseball players and Yankees of all time. To those lucky ones who did, he was an even better person. To me he was a dear friend and mentor. He will always be remembered for his success on the field, but I believe his finest quality was how he treated everyone with sincerity and kindness. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The ESPN.com obit had a Yogi-ism that I hadn't heard before, but it's still priceless. When his wife asked him if he wanted to be buried near their current home in New Jersey, somewhere in New York or in his hometown of St. Louis, he said, "surprise me."

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My favorite Yogi-isms I first heard in the Ken Burns "Baseball" documentary.

One was when he showed up at some function in a new suit and chatted with the New York mayor and his wife:

Mayor's wife: "You look very cool in that suit, Yogi."

Yogi: "Thanks. You don't look so hot yourself."

The other came from when he was a kid in school (though it might have been a Joe Garagiola concoction):

Teacher: "Don't you know anything?"

Yogi: "I don't even suspect anything."

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, that second one sounds fake.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

George Will ended his column on him with a quote I'd never heard: On being told that Catholic Dublin had elected a Jewish mayor, Berra is supposed to have said "Only in America ..."

Draft saved Draft deleted