1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Yogi Berra, 90

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just moved.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It wasn't over till it was over. RIP

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Nobody goes to Heaven anymore; it's too crowded. RIP and a salute to a long life well-lived.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I don't think he'll have to worry about anyone coming to his funeral.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

He was somebody I always hoped I'd be able to talk to at some point, but never got the chance. Sad.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I got to meet him a couple of times, the first in 1999 and he was an awesome guy.

He was at an event where they were auctioning off signed baseballs to raise money and as a high school senior couldn't afford the inflated hundreds of dollars they were going for to help the foundation. I had brought a official AL baseball because I'm a nerd and asked him to sign it. He started shaking his head saying he couldn't...all while signing it perfectly on the sweet spot.

exmediahack likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

One of the most under appreciated players and managers of all time.

Mr. Sunshine and Ace like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A three-time MVP. Widely regarded as toughest out in the clutch of his time. Weird how his status as beloved folk hero caused folks to forget just what an unbelievable player he was.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

A three-time MVP with this stretch of MVP finishes, in order: 3-1-4-2-1-1-2. A near Al Rosen Triple Crown in 53 and a Mantle Triple Crown in 56 were the only things between him and four straight MVPs

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Aflac duck is taking the week off.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't have much to add that others won't. I met him a few times. He seemed like a lovely, sweet man who treated everyone like they were someone. A few years ago, I introduced Ms. Ragu, who didn't grow up with American culture or baseball to him and his career, and she fell in love with him, and she references him a lot. We use Yogiisms all the time to crack each other up. She was really sad this morning. She was really sad for him last year when Carmen Berra died.

RIP to a great player, and someone who seemed like he had figured out how to be human (the better parts of it).

Draft saved Draft deleted