1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP William Clay Ford Sr.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Mar 9, 2014.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In any other industry, it is a great trait to have. In sports, it makes your fans hate you. He was a good owner. He spent money and cared about his team. Too bad he never got to win.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This has got to be a tax/accounting gambit. I don't ever recall Martha Ford appearing or being quoted in public. Ever.

Bill Jr. will be running the show. I suspect there are probably tax reasons majority control needs to go through Mama first.

From various reports, Bill Jr. was initially gung-ho to bring Matt Millen in, but decided much sooner than daddy it was time to pull the ejection handle. Supposedly the last couple years of Millen's reign of incompetence, Bill Jr was agitating to dump him, while WCF Sr was insisting they stick by him.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, it's definitely tax thing. One of the news stations reported that whenever Martha Ford passes on, the Fords could be on the hook for $400 million inheritance tax bill. (40 percent of their "value", which is at $1 billion).

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That's awful. A billion dollars sure ain't what it used to be.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Should help make up for the public financing of Ford Field.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So, will she just have to transfer ownership over to one of her kids?

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The pallbearers should be Wayne Fontes, Monte Clark, Bobby Ross, Scott Mitchell, Herman Moore and Charlie Batch. The six who benefitted the most from that ownership group.

I think he had the idea that his coaches and free-agent signings were also UAW and he had to live with them, competent or not.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Won life.
    You don't amass a net worth of 1 1/2 billion bucks without winning.
    Don't cry for me, Argentina....

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The reporter was unsure whether that would absolve them of the inheritance tax. And they pointed to the Jack Kent Cooke family having to sell the Redskins because they couldn't afford the tax when he died. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but that's what the news report said.

Draft saved Draft deleted