1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Wayman Tisdale

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This dude was a class guy and an accomplished, successful individual.
    RIP, and condolences to the extended family

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

That shot was the first thing I recalled when I heard the news. And it took off like six of the final 8 seconds of the game, bouncing around the rim like it did, so Tech had no chance to even come back for possible game winner of its own. Never saw another shot so soft.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Story in the Tulsa World just about a month ago had Tisdale saying he had beaten cancer and that his band was about to start a 21-city tour.

He said they could take his leg but they couldn't take his smile.

Recorded 8 jazz albums, one reached No. 1 on the Billboard charts. He said, "They made me play basketball. They didn't need to make me play music."

RIP, Wayman. Hope the rims are soft and the jazz is smooth Up There.

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I never dealt with Tisdale, but I was legitimately impressed by how well he transitioned into jazz music. Jazz isn't the sort of medium where celebrity alone will get you to the top of the pops; many jazz fans hadn't ever heard of him as a basketball player. But he was a legit talent, and he sustained his success.

How many people reach the pinnacle of two professions that have very little in common? Not that many.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dwight Howard needs to retire his cape, because as far as I'm concerned, Wayman Tisdale was the true Man of Steel. Everything about him was superhuman. I will miss him greatly.

6. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Here's how Chuck Woodling of the Lawrence Journal-World chose to remember Tisdale.

Jesus, who pissed in this guy's Cheerios:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/may/16/tisdale-hand-net-cutting/

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus. Was there a point to that story? Any point at all? Completely worthless story if you ask me.

When I woke up the other morning, I turned on SportsCenter right in the middle of the Tisdale feature ESPN did a few months ago or whatever. I was under the impression that Tisdale had his leg cut off and that it helped him regain his health.

I thought it was a new piece....until I saw "Tisdale's widow" underneath his wife's name tag during an interview.

Huh? What? Did he die? No way.

I finished watching the story fearing the worst. When it finally sunk in, it hit like a ton of bricks. I was a big Tisdale fan, more of his music than his hoops.

Shitty start to my morning for sure.

RIP.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I give up, who were they? Seriously, I'd like to know.

9. top_dog

top_dog New Member

Mark Price (Enid) and Steve Hale (Jenks). Tisdale played for Booker T. Washington in Tulsa.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I saw that on Deadspin and thought "Here is a blatant attempt at being a shameless homer that will backfire immensely."

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wow. The irony of writing about something you consider "classless" the day after someone dies apparently escaped this writer.

Just awful.

12. Saw that one, too, with Andre Turner beating BC at the horn for Memphis State in the second game. Great doubleheader.

Draft saved Draft deleted