1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Walt Sweeney

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

AFL fans will remember Sweeney from The Chargers. Seems like only yesterday that I was spending my Sunday's watching the AFL. Same thing every weekend in the Fall

Jet game at 1 and then the late game from "the coast joined in progress" Dickie Post would be running a sweep against The Raiders and Walt Sweeney would be pulling and Charlie Jones would be announcing.

Nice column by Leigh Montville- Still one of my all time favorites.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/41423344/

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, Boom. Enjoyed your take, as well. That is a nice piece. I had forgotten his stint with Washington. Sad how it all turned out.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nice column.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The 1960s-era San Diego Chargers may have been one of the most exciting teams to watch in pro football history. They certainly had the sweetest uniforms and I loved it that John Hadl wore No. 22 as the QB. It seemed like it was always sunny at Balboa Stadium when I watched their games in living cvolor! on NBC

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They had some offensive weapons. Lance Alworth, Garry Garretson, Brad Hubbard and Dickie Post. It was their defense that never seemed to be up to speed with The Chiefs and The Raiders.

Thinking back it's funny how basic the AFL offenses and defenses were compared to today's game. Offenses mostly pro set flanker and TE to right, Split end to left. Defenses
    all in a 4-3.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Boom, Charlie Jones was so AFL-AFC. Thanks for mentioning him. I may be wrong but didn't he live and retire to San Diego, or thereabouts?

7. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Loved Charlie Jones, who still called AFC games for NBC well into the '90s. But his most famous call may have been in Seoul, in 1988.

"Nine-Seven-Nine!"

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Died of a heart attack in La Jolla in 1997, according to his wiki page. He also did the Rockies on the radio for their first couple of years.

Draft saved Draft deleted