1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP umpire Marty Springstead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Longtime AL umpire who worked behind the plate for two no-hitters (Clyde Wright in 1970 and Mike Warren in 1983) and was the youngest crew chief in World Series history in 1973 (at age 36). Also was umpires supervisor for years.

Had a heart attack while swimming at age 74:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/sports/baseball/marty-springstead-managers-bane-as-al-umpire-dies-at-74.html

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

An excellent umpire, who entered the majors at a time when the American League didn't have that many. RIP.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was an NL snob at the time who couldn't tell an AL ump from Adam, but could recite the NL umps from Andy Anderson to Lee Weyer.

RIP.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Miss the old days of the AL and NL Umps.

Not an opening day goes by I don't think of John McSherry, which of course lead to this little pearl of wisdom.

"Snow this morning and now this. I don't believe it. I feel cheated. This isn't supposed to happen to us, not in Cincinnati. This is our history, our tradition, our team. Nobody feels worse than me."

Draft saved Draft deleted