1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Trevor Berbick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tommyp, Oct 28, 2006.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

Ex-heavyweight champ forund murdered in Jamaica (not Queens):

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyID=2006-10-28T181126Z_01_N28323904_RTRUKOC_0_UK-JAMAICA-BERBICK.xml&WTmodLoc=SportsLanding-C1-Headline-12

Of course, the AP reports that he was 'found dead' with no other details.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/10/28/sports/CB_SPT_BOX_Obit_Berbick.php

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are they sure it's not his younger, less accomplished brother?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I worked in Jamaica for 6 months. One day a rasta, upset that I was taking photos of a school bus as part of an assignment, chased after me with his machete. Scared the living shit out of me.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's not a surprise to me that he has died, but the way he died certainly is a shocker.

RIP.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Really, one should never be surprised that someone dies. After all, the mortality rate on this planet is 100 percent.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Have you worked everywhere?

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

"Larry Holmes kicked me and punched me."

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

In the past year, over 800,000 millions have died. Despite millions of dollars of research, death continues to be our nation's number one killer.

Although, so far there's no known treatment for death's crippling effects, still everyone can acquaint himself with the three early warning signs of death: one, rigor mortis; two, a rotting smell; three, occasional drowsiness.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Berbick fought out of Canada for some time. He'll always be remembered as Ali's last opponent but he was a big, strong, awkward fighter who was a high-end heavy in the post-Holmes, pre-Tyson dead ball era of heavyweights.

His win over highly-touted Greg Page was a terrific effort on the Holmes-Cooney undercard and he went right after Tyson the night Mike took his title. He got whacked in two, but didn't run from him like a lot of guys did then. Having said that, the Holmes-Berbick parking lot scrap was more competitive than their 15-roundetr. Funnier too.

10. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Rest in Peace, Big Fella.
    You fashioned a great career in your chosen field.
    You reached high and grasped, for several moments, the biggest prize.
    May your family and friends fined strength in this uneasy moment of your passing.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Was Berbick the guy who knocked Holmes down and was two seconds away from the championship before Holmes staggered to his feet? Or was that Renaldo Snipes?

12. joe

joe Active Member

Is it too early for Trevor Berbick jokes.

Draft saved Draft deleted