1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: "Tony Dungy Can't Win the Big One"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Re: No More "Tony Dungy Can't Win the Big One"

To steal an old line: It would be pretty to think so.

But I think that for the foreseeable future, we'll have more Belichick-Coughlin types than Dungy-Smith, and I ain't talking black-white.

I'm talking crass vs. class.

And class always seems to be in short supply. Crass never is.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I couldn't be happier for Dungy. This is a great day for the NFL.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yeah, it's true. One can hope, though. :)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't hear clearly. Did Dungy say he was more proud that the game matched two Christian coaches who did things the right way?

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I actually heard some talk about this on sportsradio last night, like "Will this be the start of a trend?" Let's hope so. More Dungy, less Belichick.[/quote]

But I think that for the foreseeable future, we'll have more Belichick-Coughlin types than Dungy-Smith, and I ain't talking black-white.

And class always seems to be in short supply. Crass never is.[/quote] Coughlin will never win a Super Bowl. Initially, he'll have some success instilling "discipline" into a team but as time goes on, the players begin to hate him and tune him out. Look at the end of his run with Jacksonville. Look at the 2006 New York Giants. Neither team wanted anything to do with him.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Yep. (Re: Moddy's question)

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Something to that effect, yes Mod. :)

8. healingman

healingman Guest

Tony Dungy is a class act, through and through. He's expressed his faith in God publicly at a Billy Graham event before in Indianapolis as well as through other events, too. It does show that a guy doesn't have to raise his voice or fire off a few "f---" words just to get a point across.

Seeing these two guys lead their teams to the Super Bowl certainly has given me reason to pause and ponder about how I could go about changing and adjusting my own attitudes.

Thank you, Moddy, for explaining the "RIP" vernacular.

"Vernacular .... dat's a doibey!!!" :)

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

And class always seems to be in short supply. Crass never is.[/quote] Coughlin will never win a Super Bowl. Initially, he'll have some success instilling "discipline" into a team but as time goes on, the players begin to hate him and tune him out. Look at the end of his run with Jacksonville. Look at the 2006 New York Giants. Neither team wanted anything to do with him.
    [/quote]

Not saying Coughlin will win one. I'm saying there will always be more of the control-freak assholes in charge than guys like Dungy. Coughlin's M.O. was well-know long before he got to NY, and the Giants hired him anyway.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yes.

Depressing to hear that sort of crap.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uh, why?
    I'm not a Christian. Just curious why that would be depressing. He has a right to be curious.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I just think that ascribing "doing things the right way" to Christianity is divisive.

Draft saved Draft deleted