1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tony Curtis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

One of those guys you thought might go on forever in the public eye. He was 85.

Unfortunately, the AP story I'm linking here refers to his daughter as Jamie Leigh Curtis. Unless that's the real spelling of her middle name in homage to her mother, but I doubt it.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/868349--actor-tony-curtis-dies-at-85?bn=1

I'm far too young to have seen him in his prime, but I do remember him playing a prehistoric version of himself, "Stony Curtis," in The Flintstones.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

His best work was producing his daughter.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Sweet Smell of Success" was a great movie, and a lot of people rave about "Some Like it Hot," though I never really cared for it (I just don't find cross-dressing all that funny).

But his most enduring legacy, other than his daughter, was that Elvis died his hair black as an homage to Curtis.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

sorry, but it is "leigh" for jamie's mom, the gorgeous janet leigh.
    yup. for jamie's mom, the janet

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nope.

Jamie Lee Curtis.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Mommy-Hung-Moon-Story/dp/0060290161/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285853947&sr=8-1

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Gotta give him credit for "The Defiant Ones" as well. R.I.P.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Did okay in Spartacus. Never did make it clear to Laurence Olivier whether he liked snails or oysters.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I keep thinking of the Flintstones episode where he does the voice-over for Stoney Curtis ...

[​IMG]

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

i googled myself and stand corrected, though she's i.d.'d as "jamie 'leigh' curtis" in several posts. i could swear i read an article after "trading places" came out in which she explained "jamie leigh curtis" was the ideal way for her parents to get both last name on the birth certificat in the era before hyphenated last names. guess i "misrembered" or misread, though i'm sure it's more than sheer coincidence she was named "jamie lee," regardless of the spelling.

but if i'm wrong, so be it. i'll deal.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Her older sister is named Kelly Lee Curtis. My understanding is that both girls were named in utero so their parents, who obviously didn't know if they were having girls or boys, wouldn't have to worry about names once they were born.

Kelly and Jamie obviously work as names for both genders. Lee does too....Leigh, however, isn't quite as common for a boy, though. Maybe that's why Tony and Janet went with the Lee spelling instead of Leigh.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He and Roger Moore were pretty good in "The Pretenders," a campy TV show from the early 1970s.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

RIP Bernie Schwartz

Tony Curtis appears on sleeve of The Beatles' "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Draft saved Draft deleted