1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tom Clancy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I ran Ann Archer off the road.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it."

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They're not incoherent. They were, after some point boring and unusually anchored in needless detail.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's popular among elite thinkers to disavow Clancy. I find it hard to read John Le Carre books. Can't make it 2 pages into Joyce.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Is that a euphemism?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And neither has been in my kitchen.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Clear and Present Danger is the only one I've read and I enjoyed it. RIP.

BTW, Bubbler, your Crazy Ivan line would have driven me off the road had I been behind a wheel. Good stuff. ;D

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I read all his books up until "The Sum of All Fears." After that he started his serialized stuff and I wasn't drawn to those.

He was a pretty good storyteller, though not in Stephen King's orbit.

RIP.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Don't read the Internet while driving.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Easy-to-read has nothing to do with, you know, ability to write.

There are dozens of authors who are popular but can barely produce a coherent sentence

I tried to read Clancy but his writing was so godawful that I couldn't keep going. It was absolute torture.

A little google on his shit is like shooting fish in a barrel

Here's horrible sentence # 1

“‘Fighter weather,’ agreed Lieutenant Colonel Bill Jeffers, commander of the 57th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, the “Black Knights,” most of whose F-15 Eagle interceptors were sitting in the open a bare hundred yards away.”

Can you get anything clumsier?

Or this:

“If the Soviets kicked off the war that seemed to be springing from the ground like a new volcano, Kaflavik was as ready as it could be.”

Volcano? Huh?

As a former poster used to say, "Inches from actual English"

The only two worst writers I can think of are Dan Brown and the Uber awful Ayn Rand

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

I read the first Tom Clancy book... I think it was the Hunt for Red October. Some people told me how exciting it was, so I read it. Halfway thru the book, no excitement. Parts of it read like a technical manual. Three-quarters of it, still no excitement. Like an idiot, I read it to the end.

JR, I agree with you about Dan Brown and Ayn Rand. Ayn Rand might have an excuse because she is talking about philosophy rather than writing and English was not her first language. Dan Brown's DaVinci Code was a bit absurd. It had a lot of facts wrong about the Catholic Church. I'm talking about basic facts. Granted it is fiction, but when you make easy mistakes, it shows you don't know what you are talking about. The only reason I read it was because some high officials in the Catholic Church were so upset about it. They should have told people if they read it, it would count for forgiveness in confession.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Nicole Cushing would probably appreciate a lil credit where credit is due, JR.

That being said, if you name a couple of your favorite writers, it is likely I would think they are shite.

Different strokes, and yours are almost certainly more highbrow than mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted