1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Todd Christensen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Former Raiders great. Had liver disease. Died during surgery at 57.

He was fun to watch and then became part of American Gladiators' fixation on former football players as analysts -- Csonka, Theismann, etc. (I did like him as a regular broadcaster too).

foxs.pt/1j4OY3f

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Was a fullback when he first came into the league, which is why he wore 46. Great, great hands and a really good runner after the catch.

With Kellen Winslow & Ozzie Newsome, part of the 2nd generation of great NFL tight ends (with John Mackey, Mike Ditka & Jackie Smith comprising the first). You can draw a straight line from the "tackles who caught a pass once in a while" of the 1960s thru Christensen and his ilk to the true downfield threats of today like Rob Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow. That sucks...

RIP.

4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Sad. So young. Can't believe it. Really enjoyed him on NBC with Charlie Jones, and on ESPN and ESPN2 alongside Charlie Steiner, among others.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great, great Caucasian "natural" afro; insightful as well. The original 100 catch TE. Way, way too early.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Terrible news. He was my second favorite player from the L.A. Raiders era (after Marcus Allen). Always a well-spoken and pretty funny dude also. RIP.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Great player. Interesting career stat line. Rip

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He was the ultimate chain-moving tight end.
    He got a lot of crap for introspection that at times bordered on intellectual vanity.
    Apologized for that in the 1983 Raiders America's Game documentary, though it wasn't necessary.

9. swenk

swenk Member

Met Todd in the late 80s when he was subbing for Roy Firestone on ESPN's Sports Look. I was there with a ballplayer on a book tour, and Todd was asking him which William Blake quote best described the baseball experience. I believe the answer was "Ummm..."

While all the Super Bowl Raiders were lining up for tell-all book deals, Todd sent me a box filled with poetry he had written. He said he had enough to fill four books. He was wrong; he had enough for ten. We never got the book(s) published, but he quizzed me on every verse of every poem.

I don't think he ever understood the open disdain his teammates had for him personally; maybe it was the relentless quoting of Thoreau, I don't know. I'm interested to see what the Howie Longs and others say about him in the wake of his death.

Sad for his family. I believe he had four sons (the youngest with spina bifida), and a couple grandkids. RIP.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He had my favorite line from American Gladiators

"If combat mano-a-mano is your style, The Joust is your cup of tea."

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a true Raider. I hope the liver surgery he was undergoing wasn't because of roid use or some other NFL related problem.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Always enjoyed his work, both as a player and broadcaster.

Taken way too young... RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted