1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP to one of our own, one of our best -- Craig Stanke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 29, 2012.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Simers.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers-20120530,1,2061254.column

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Very sad news. Sounds like a great guy.

It's been nice to read everyone's comments.

Condolences to his friends here.

3. garyparrish

garyparrish New Member

Everybody, like Wetzel said, has a Craig Stanke story. He was a tremendous journalist and boss with a unique ability to tell you what to do without making it feel like he was telling you what to do. And he was always right. Writers tend to question editors, fair or not. But I don't ever remember questioning Stanke because I don't ever remember him being wrong. He always had a reason for what he was doing, and his reason always made sense. And yet he'd still call any time he wanted something changed in a column and spend three minutes explaining exactly why he thought the change needed to be made. It's almost like he wanted you to disagree with him just so he could debate journalism. He loved talking journalism. But I don't ever remember disagreeing with him, and after about a year of working for him I said, "Stanke. I appreciate the call. But you know you don't have to run every change by me, don't you? I trust you. If you think a change makes my point clearer or better, do it. You know what you're doing. Whatever you say, I'm down with it."

And that's the best compliment I could ever give an editor -- that he's so good his writers don't question his suggestions, demands or changes. Stanke was that good. We miss him already.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's well said. It sounds like -- and this is no surprise -- he treated his writers like he did all of us on here: With the utmost respect and dignity with the clear intent to make everyone better. He was fair. He was sensible. He was reasonable. He sought the best from everyone. When he spoke, you listened. And you learned. We are richer for the experience. And poorer for losing that voice.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Simers: "We got back to his children. Funny how he managed to always maneuver the conversation in their direction. He wouldn't shut up, and how do you know you're having the last conversation you're ever going to have with a great friend?"

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've been unable to post lately, but I had to find a way (friend's phone) to say something about this. I didn't know Craig Stanke, but SF_Express was my original favorite poster here, well before I joined the conversation.

It was an honor to debate all matters journalism with him. He'll be missed dearly.

When I have a better connection, I'll give him a more fitting tribute. I know I can count on this thread staying on Page 1 until then.

Rest in peace, Craig Stanke

7. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I agree with so much of what has been said here already. We lost a great voice.

If his family reads this thread, and I hope they do, they should know how many young journalists Craig influenced. There are journalists in every corner of the planet -- from CBS to Podunk Press -- who are better at their craft because of things he said or time he took to help them. It didn't matter if you had never met him in person or if he didn't know your name, he was willing to help. What incredible reach he had across the profession.

8. joe

joe Active Member

From Scott Miller's column, not exactly about Craig -- but exactly about Craig, it seems:

"Those were the beautiful nights of youth and dreams and wide-open, never-ending futures. The nights that race by as you wait for your life to really begin, never once stopping to realize that it already has."

If Craig's too-soon passing can prompt a man to write that perfect a paragraph, I'm the poorer for not knowing him.

I never say it, but I'll say it now: Rest in peace, Craig. Rest in peace.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hadn't seen Miller's column linked, but maybe someone I have on ignore posted it.

Either way, here.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/story/19196988/stanke-a-giant-in-journalism-a-friend-in-every-way-gone-too-soon

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Like so many others here, I cherished every word he had to say about journalism. Such an important voice; he added so much to the discussion.

Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but feel like I knew him well after our PMs and interactions here over the.

RIP. Craig, you'll be truly missed by more people than you know.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Damn. I know I'm not adding a whole lot new here. I wish I knew him, even more after reading so many of these testimonies/stories. I respected the hell out of him on this board, though we didn't have much back and forth, he always brought something insightful,informed and well thought out to this board that all to often plays on emotions and passion.

My thoughts and prayers for him and his family, friends and his coworkers.

May you rest in peace.

12. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

RIP. Didn't know him, although I certainly knew of him and we're of a similar age. Seemed like a very wise man. He'll be missed.

Draft saved Draft deleted