1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP the Tony Kornheiser Show?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Let me tell you, he can't get back soon enough. I have been running out of things to listen to.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If you need a Mr. Tony fix, he's on Simmons' latest podcast.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me but Simmons is such a preening shmoe and predictable that he's not interesting anymore

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Finally listened to the Simmons podcast with Mr. Tony. Pretty good stuff, I thought.

Also, right toward the end, Mr. Tony's phone starts beeping because it's running out of juice. He then says "Karril's telling me to go upstairs and use the land line."

So I guess that mystery is solved.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Glad to have Mr. Tony back. Other than not really playing any music (which I assume is a rights thing), no real difference. Perhaps a bit more self-referential and explanatory at times, but that's for the Simmons crowd I guess.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried watching the new Bayless-Sharpe show?

7. heyabbott

I wonder how many podcasts are daily M-F shows? Nice show and as it progresses it should be fairly seamless between radio and podcast. But they'll be without the things that a radio station pays for like music. Can Tony just read the Washington Post and AP headlines as news without paying? I'd think the weather channel or whatever source they use, besides Kip Sheeman, would like to be paid too. The little things you don't think about.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

NWS data can't be copyrighted, so they're clear on that front. And if newspapers sued every time some talk show hack read straight copy, they wouldn't be losing money.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The Simmons-Tony podcast was one of the best listens in a long time. Highly recommend.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That was the most open I've heard Kornheiser perhaps ever.

I listened to the first day yesterday. Why does this have to be a podcast? Other than 980 not willing to pay him sufficiently. I'm surprised 106.7 wouldn't have offered him more to bring him over there. (Yes, old guy radio, but still gets a lot of listeners.)

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As Webster and some others have suggested, I think it's so Tony's son Michael (who is exec producer of the podcast) will have something to do, a family business Tony can pass down, so to speak.

12. heyabbott

Did he give up his teaching job?

Draft saved Draft deleted