1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP The Sports Reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Canceled:

ESPN is canceling The Sports Reporters

Used to be appointment Sunday morning viewing for me, but haven't watched it regularly in probably 15 years.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was doomed by the endless repetition of the same people for all those years.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I loved the show so much in the pre-internet age and it led me to seek out the writing of people like Dick Schaap, Bob Ryan, Mitch Albom and Tony Korneheiser because I enjoyed how smart they were on the show. The parting shots were probably my favorite thing on TV. A weekly show like that has been stale for a decade at least, but it was great for its time.

I remember being so disappointed that Lupica would often just paraphrase the beginning of his Sunday column for his parting shot.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Used to love watching that show under Dick Schaap. Exposed me to a lot of writers I would otherwise not have known, but unfortunately became a platform for Lupica, who is an insufferable twit. Still remember when Whitlock went at him about Barry Bonds, which of course ended Jason's run in the rotation. ESPN is slowly killing everything good about the network.

Deitstch, ever the PC putz who is always running toward the temperature of the water, ends his brief story with, "For years the show featured no women as regular panelists. That improved marginally in the last couple of years."

5. Michael_ Gee

I realize this is a phenomenon everywhere, not just ESPN, but it particularly saddens me to see how the network has changed my contemporaries as sports columnists whom I admired as writers by providing far more money and fame to those who became deliberate clown acts and caricatures of their real selves. Of course, it's easy to maintain a pose of staunch integrity when nobody ever asked you to sell out, but I still feel that way.

6. Steak Snabler

And that's not at all true. Jackie MacMullen and Christine Brennan were regulars in the Schaap days.

Deitsch just tweeted that it will be replaced by a weekly edition of E:60, so I guess that's something.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    exmediahack likes this.
  7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

And First Take survives....

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I had no idea the show was still on.

SnarkShark likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

It truly baffles me that people will watch highly paid professionals do the very same thing they could hear and actually participate in if they just went to Buffalo Wild Wings or talked to co-workers during a break.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

yeah, but the people at Buffalo Wild Wings and around the water cooler might actually believe most of the things they say, whereas...

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Originally a takeoff of "The Sports Writers on TV" out of Chicago.

12. Steak Snabler

Used to catch that once in a while on WGN. The cigar smoke was so thick in that room you could barely see their faces.

Draft saved Draft deleted