1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP the nation's oldest full contact intramural football league

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 16, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for the threadjack. ... But there is this group of people who play quiddich every weekend in Central Park. We saw them on Sunday. They dress up in Harry Potter costumes, and even though they can't fly, they run around with brooms between their legs and throw a ball to each other and try to get it into these rings they have set up on poles.

I find the spectacle sad every time I see it.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You'll love this ... http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/sports/Quoosiers.html

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I imagine for most of house football's history, football, at the varsity, JV and house levels, was the only fall sport the school offered.
    Now the school has soccer, cross country and water polo on the boys side in the fall.
    According to the school's web site, there are 69 kids in the varsity and JV football programs. Not sure how many are involved in the other sports at various levels but that would have to take away some potential house football players.
    As best can tell from the article in the school paper, they were still trying to play 11-man football, not eight or six-man, even though some teams only had 8 players or so.
    I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

All that football puts hairs on your chest.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

My mother and a lot of my cousins grew up there. They also have (or had) a huge gold course. Driving down to visit, we'd see kids out there in all weather. And a lot of the students are (or were) foreign, so football might not have been a big draw.

Draft saved Draft deleted