1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP the nation's oldest full contact intramural football league

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 16, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...if the Daily Caller is to be believed

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/13/wimping-of-america-oldest-full-contact-intramural-high-school-football-league-to-go-flag-video/

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Until a few years ago, West Point used to have intramural tackle football. Now it's flag, too.

3. TigerVols

One of my 9 concussions came during intramural FLAG football. I wonder who I should sue?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

First World Problems. The school is a creme-de-la-creme-de-la-creme billion-dollar boarding school.

The idea this is the result of kowtowing to "PC," as the butthurters on Facebook are already howling, is preposterous. Billion-dollar private boarding schools don't do anything they don't want to do.

If you want your kid to play full-contact tackle football that badly, send him to a school where he can do it.

Presumably the reason they have a fully-rostered house football league has to be that the school's actual varsity interscholastic team must cut large numbers every year.

There are plenty of public high schools in our coverage area with 2,000 students who can barely scratch 20 bodies together for the varsity football team.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

For the record, I was using the phrase "wimpification of America" 25 years ago.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounds like that school is more devoted to Quidditch anyway.

7. Who knew rich kids are pussies?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This all started with Teddy Roosevelt. If kids aren't dying on the football field from the flying wedge, America is ruined.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

You were country when country wasn't cool.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Daily Caller left this part out. This is from the school paper:

In an interview, Goldenberg stated that this decision was made as a result of a decrease in participation this year in the League. By playing tackle football there is a risk for injuries. If a number of injuries were to occur many teams would not have the eight-player minimum needed to form a team. Last year this became a problem as one house was forced to forfeit its final game.

The decision was made quite rapidly as Head Master Liz Duffy H’43 explained that “[Goldberg] and I made the decision about this year. Then we told the housemasters that we will have a discussion after we see what happens this year about what’s going to happen long term. All we’re trying to do is get through this season.” Duffy also recognized the eroding participation in House football as a reason for the change saying, “most of the teams didn’t have enough members to play.” Currently two houses, Kennedy and Cleve, have only eight eligible players. “People are voting with their feet,” said Duffy simply.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

broke my arm first week of college playing flag football and I still came back before Derrick Rose

12. TigerVols

The headmaster graduated high school in 1943? Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted