1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP...The GAP's craptacular new logo...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Oct 12, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...it's dead, after causing more Internet consternation than the failed OJ logo last year...

http://creativity-online.com/news/gap-to-scrap-new-logo-return-to-old-design/146420

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

That died a faster death than the new Tropicana OJ containers.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Weird logo. It looks like it's more appropriate for a tech company.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What happens to marketing people that makes them speak like this?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If the Net had been around in the 1980s, New Coke would have been derailed before it hit stores. And why the hell change the Gap logo in the first place?

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Wait, people still wear clothes from The Gap? Did I just step back in time to 1997? Is B.U.M. Equipment back in style , too?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This is how we talk to each other over drinks after work.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They actually make pretty nice stuff. One of the few "mall stores" that grown-ups can frequent. I wouldn't put them in the flavor-of-the-month club at all.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Changing logos can be very dicey. Many people in the field place too much emphasis on the logo in the branding equation.
    Worse, too many stakeholders place too much emphasis on the logo in branding.

Of course, I never really thought of the Gap's logo as being that iconic. It seems like a great example of clear brand image without any real reliance on a logo. If I had been working on this I would have been shocked by any splashback on the logo change.

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I am proud to say I have never been in a Gap store.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why?

12. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Bodie's never been there because it's not exactly his cup o' tea in terms of attire. Why he's proud to say it? Who knows with that one... :D

Draft saved Draft deleted