1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Texas Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, Dallas County isn't dry but some municipalities are. Irving was one of them at one time. I don't any part of Irving is dry anymore.

2. I drove by it earlier this year; never been inside. Couldn't believe how tacky-dumpy it looked from the outside. Looked like a good gust of wind would strip that white paint off the bubble. Just, um, ugly, yeah, that's the word.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Blasphemer! :D

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I covered an SMU game back in the days when Gov. Bill Clements was OKing payments to players, and I've always been struck by how big the crown of the field was. It really was sloped from midfield down to the sidelines.

Are there bigger crowns around?

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I grew up in DFW and always thought it was an ugly barn. Some great memories, but feh. I was sadder when Arlington Stadium was razed. And I was sadder still when the Dallas Black Hawks quit playing at Fair Park. :D

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Then who was it who plucked a star from the heavens and placed it on a helmet?

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Perhaps Satan inverted a pentagram.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It used to be so bad in Rich Stadium that one couldn't see the feet of the folks standing on the opposing sideline.

Perhaps that changed when the facility went to FieldTurf. Any idea, pseudo ... anyone else in UpstateNYSportsJournalists.com

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I've never seen a crown anywhere near as pronounced as Texas Stadium. It's bizarre.

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Knoxville?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Memorial Stadium in Lincoln was pretty bad back when they were an option team.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

At Texas Stadium, it was more like you couldn't see their knees. The thing must have been at least two feet high.

I seem to remember that it was almost totally removed when the old Astroturf was replaced, but I haven't been there in a couple of years.

Draft saved Draft deleted