1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Texas Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Dec 20, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

• largest concert crowd was 71,000 for gospel singer carman in 1994
    • largest wrestling event crowd was 40,000-plus for von erich parade of champions in 1984 (though i've heard david von erich's funeral at the stadium drew 50,000)
    • billy graham crusade drew 90,000 but don't know the year

but

• in may of this year, more than 150,000 attended a cinco de mayo event (although i'm betting at least part of that was held outside the stadium in the parking lot)

EDIT: apparently the billy graham crusade attendance was more than 100,000 over two days

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I remember laughing my ass off as it happened.
    I really enjoyed it when Emmitt came back and slammed the ball to the turf while looking at the 49ers' bench.
    After that, when TO did it again, I was looking to laugh and then all sorts of bullshit came into play.
    Great stuff and a great memory. Thanks Dan. I know there's something on youtube about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you can stick 150,000 legally in that stadium, I'm guessing there are zero building codes in Texas.

That said, I hear great things about the toilet paper, gasoline and match stick elementary schools in Fort Worth.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Carman had a bigger crowd than Garth Brooks? Or the triple bill of Alan Jackson, George Strait and Jimmy Buffett?

Good gosh, that's shocking.

5. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Good riddance. Last night's game was a great sendoff. I'm still chuckling.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Dallas is in the middle of the Bible Belt. And Carman -- who fancies himself an evangelist who does music -- charges no admission for his concerts.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I used to like you :D

8. Tommy_Dreamer

I mean, Texas Stadium in Irving IS in a DRY COUNTY! Did not know that until the 99 Jets-Boys game I went to.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

not a dry county, just dry in certain areas. and even before jerry got the ok for booze, fans could bring their own cooler of beer.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Well, I remember trying to buy beer in one store and them not having it. We had to go a bit down the road. I know we could bring it back into the county, we did that a lot during that trip :D

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great game to close it down. Even the Ravens look lame in a prevent D (2 rushers? and they still complete the pass).

12. Cowboycane

Cowboycane Member

Won't miss the urine smell on the sidelines. Won't miss the really convenient media parking (i don't know how to blue font that) Won't miss the plywood walls with the plastic stars stuck on them. Won't miss the 60-degree incline from the field to postgame. Won't miss the shadow/sun nightmare that is a 3pm kick.

I hate that place.

Draft saved Draft deleted