1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Teena Marie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Dec 26, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

She probably meant a little more to us poor white girls who so wanted to do what she was doing.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

RIP. My favorites were "Portuguese Love" and "Casanova Brown." She had a great voice.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

No, Heaven needed someone to sing with Superfreak.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

She blazed a trail for plenty other white funkstresses, including Madonna.

Teena probably owed a lot of her pop crossover success in the mid-80s to artists like Madonna who were performing similar R&B music, sort of like Slade finally broke through in the States thanks to Quiet Riot. (Sorry, had to work that in.)

RIP.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Oh man she was a staple of my mix tapes in college. "Portuguese Love", "I Need Some Lovin'", "Square Biz", "Fire and Desire", etc., those were sweet. This was a shock. 54, wow.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mary Christine Brockert, also known as Lady T also known as Teena Marie as a pure talent. Her music, unlike most of the crap that is out now, flowed. From her first album, Wild and Peaceful, it was clear that she had the stuff to make it. However, it was subsequent albums, Lady Tee, Iron in the Fire and Square Biz that made her shine. Her duets with Rick James are legendary R&B classics. However, it was what she did away from the microphones that many people in the industry should be grateful for.
    In 1982, Marie got into a legal battle with Motown over her contract and disagreements about releasing her new material. The scuffle resulted in "The Brockert Initiative", which makes it illegal for a record company to keep an artist under contract without releasing new material for that artist. In such instances, artists are able to sign and release with another label instead of being held back by an unsupportive one.
    RIP

7. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I was confused for a moment and terrified that the original poster meant Tina Louise, from "Gilligan's Island" and, later, a brief turn on "Dallas."

Draft saved Draft deleted