1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Syd Thrift

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MJHRVA, Sep 19, 2006.

1. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149190702964&path=%21sports&s=1045855934844

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

RIP to the brains behind the Pirates last good seasons.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

History will treat him better than he was treated in the here-and-now. Great baseball mind.

RIP.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I whine quite a bit about the 1992 NLCS, but if not for Syd Thrift, that early 90s run never would have occurred. Considering where the team was around 1985-86, the man is forever a genius in my book...RIP.

Nice read from Ron Cook...

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04126/311389.stm

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No doubt about that. And thanks for the Ron Cook link. Very well done.

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

"The Game According to Syd" should be required reading for any baseball GM trying to build a team by using the minor league system.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Helped build the Pirates and topple the Orioles.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

"The Game According to Syd is probably a great book, but more importantly, it's the perfect size to prop up a short kitchen table leg." -- David Littlefield, Pittsburgh

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

It was a very good book. I don't agree with everything in it and some of it is showing off how smart Thrift is, but it had a lot of good ideas and was very thought provoking.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I loved that Pirates team, for a while they were the NL team I rooted for - Bonds, Bonilla & personal favorites like Van Slyke, Lavalierre, Brian Fisher, Drabek, Rhoden etc.

RIP

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Thrift did a great job in Pittsburgh, but he also did it in a different era. In 1988, payrolls ranged from the Yankees' high of $18.9 million to the White Sox low of $5.9 million.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What? You mean Ted Simmons wasn't the genius behind that bunch?

Carry on.

(P.S. Syd was doomed by a moronic owner in Baltimore. Anyone who wants to toss more than 20 percent of the blame toward the GM in that case doesn't know how much of a tool Angelos is.)

Draft saved Draft deleted