1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Suharto

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Ham and cheese amulet?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Shah of the Sunda!

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lived in Indonesia for a while when I was a kid (Dad's in the oil business). Might still have some money somewhere with Suharto's picture on it ...

4. He was a dictator who killed his own people by the thousands and looted his country.
    We should have invaded Indonesia, built an embassy the size of Rhode Island, and occupied it for the next 100 years because that's the way to spread freedom and do away with evil.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Grab your waterboards! Surf's up in the South China Sea!

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Hey, there's a Christian Brando thread that you haven't hijacked into a Bush-bashing vehicle yet - you better hurry before it falls to page 2.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Actually, it's perfectly legitimate to compare the US government's relationship with one dictatorship to our government's relationship with another dictatorship. It's not like this was a thread about whether people like raspberry or chocolate sauce on cheesecake. It's thread about a butcher that our tax dollars supported.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Suharto ousted Sukarno, who was a leader who would try to play the US against the USSR but was thought to be leaning in favor of the USSR.

There is a story about Sukarno where the Soviets tried to blackmail him by setting him up with some women who had sex with him. The story said that the Russians told Sukarno they had these tapes of him with the women, thinking they could use that as an edge.

Instead, Sukarno requested 12 copies of the tapes. This puzzled the Russians. Sukarno told them he wanted to show the tapes in his country to show the women that he was a great lover.

9. A butcher that our tax dollars supported who did not make the wrong enemies among our brave think-tank cowboys.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Rest in Pieces.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what's the opposite of RIP? this thread is mis-titled.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Don't RIP, I suppose, but I refuse to speak ill of the dead this week, so I'm letting y'all call him an evil, murderous dictator.

Draft saved Draft deleted