1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stompin' Tom Connors..Canadian folk singer legend

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Mar 6, 2013.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He's most famous for the "The Good Old Hockey Game" which should be played in every NHL rink for the next rink

Click to 1:40 to avoid the bullshit

And second best, " Sudbury Saturday Night"

Good PEI guy and a Canadian icon. RIP

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

With apologies to Gordon Lightfoot et. al, Stompin' Tom WAS Canadian music. A true original, an absolute icon up here.

Somewhere Bud the Spud (from the bright red mud) mourns....

RIP to one of Canada's greatest musical heroes.

3. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

I love "Sudbury Saturday Night".

I'm going get "stinko" in his honor.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Spent many a Saturday night in the 'bury, if you can't get stinko there on a Saturday - or any other night - you ain't trying hard enough.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

My favorite Canadian artist by far.

Saw him twice and each time it was a great (even if he forgot some of the words).

First time was at the Panatages Theatre in Winnipeg, had fron row tix and when he shook out the stomping board some of the chips and dust flew over us, was just awesome. Even if you did not like the music you could not help but like the performance, I swear every notable figure of the Wpg punk rock scene was there that night.

I am not a real autograph guy but after the show we were walking out when we saw a table being set up in the lobby. Tom and the leader of the country band that opened the show came out to sign autographs.

I took the shirt I bought over and he wrote "to Ic at the corner of Portage Street and Main". It was awesome because The Pantages Theatre is only a couple blocks from Portage and Main and Red River Jane is one of my fave songs.

The shirt is framed and hangs in my house.

In the mid 2000's I was travelling to Cuba for work quite a bit and ended up dealing with Tom's ex manager who now runs a travel agency, totally marked out for the stories.

This is the rare case that I am sad that a celebrity has died.

RIP

6. This is such a bummer. My daughter and I were just singing "The Hockey Song" yesterday.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Great story. Thanks for that

Ray Ferraro during the Leafs/Sens game tonight said that in his travels through rinks in Europe, "The Good Old Hockey Game" was a standard

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sad news. He deserves a state funeral. RIP, Stompin' Tom.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

well hell....

Favorite version of the GOHG, 2:30 in -- last game at the Gardens,,,,

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As much as I like his stuff, no he doesn't deserve a state funeral.

11. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Saw Stompin' Tom in concert with my family in my hometown when I was a little boy and have his greatest hits on CD and in my iPod. I listen to him occasionally.
    A friend of mind who is from Sudbury is a legitimate fan who knows the words to all his songs.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

You're right. He didn't get caught in a rub-and-tug in downtown T.O. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted