1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Steven Tyler's American Idol career

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog eat dog world, Jul 12, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Read the link, shottie. Even TMZ said "We think he's kidding."

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Shouldn't he be vice-president by now?

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Pauly Shore? Hells yeah!

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Randy would be insane to leave. He needs to milk this for everything he can and I'm guessing the show probably only has a few more seasons left.

Lambert would be a good get, in part because he'd be relatively cheap, at least compared to the $15-$20 mil a year that JLo and Tyler were reportedly getting. I like the idea of past contestants being judges. If Duets (which to be fair, I've never seen) can get Clarkson, I would think Idol could as well.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I do not care for Mary J. Blige as a performer ... but I believe she'd be a great judge on this show.

6. Mizzougrad96

I haven't watched the show in maybe four seasons. The season where Lambert finished second was the last one I watched. I can't keep track of how many seasons there have been since then. I never saw Ellen as a judge. I never saw Tyler or J-Lo.

I know the ratings are still good, but it's not the juggernaut that it used to be. NCIS, DWTS and Big Bang Theory all beat it at times last season.

7. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Ellen was a joke. She'd crack some. That was her contribution...two if she had to lead off the critiques, one if she followed another judge, then it was simply one joke, repeat someone else.

That they'd be going after Lambert (on the cheap at that) is a hell of an indication this show is on its last legs. Simon, having dumped Paula and preventing his new show from becoming a train wreck out of the chute, is in a position to sweep in and pick up the crumbs, becoming the top show of its kind. That's a good thing in that it's one less singing contest. There's too damn many of them now.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I'll write the SportsJournalists.com letter of condolence for your spelling skills. :D

Back on topic, I would call Steven Tyler's time with AI a dalliance, not a career.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

JLo too.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/13/jennifer-lopez-quits-american-idol/

10. Mizzougrad96

I thought that was old news, but maybe it's now official... I wonder if they're tightening the belts at Idol and they aren't willing to give out the ungodly amounts of money they paid for JLo and Tyler.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Rumors also include Phil Lesh and Alannah Myles as new judges.

12. Mizzougrad96

I know nobody had heard of Cowell when the show started, but at this point wouldn't you think they would need some big names?

I would think at least one of the three would have to be a pretty big name, and I don't think Jackson or Lambert would qualify.

Draft saved Draft deleted