1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Steve Sabol

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fuck. I'm truly saddened by this. A part of my childhood and adulthood died a little bit. I know Ed Sabol founded NFL Films, but for someone my age (41), Steve Sabol was the face of the brand.

Like Norrin said, NFL Films was propaganda in the best sense of the word ... and I ate up every last bit of it. Sabol even made fun of this in the NFL Films' docs of the last 10 years or so.

I think it can be argued that no single person outside of the players was responsible for the canonization of the NFL in the public's mind than Sabol was.

And while there are plenty of players who have good arguments about being left out of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Sabol not being in is its most glaring omission.

NFL Films was obviously low-brow in many ways and much of it is hilariously dated, but there's some legitimately brilliant work they did too. The Lost Treasures series was fantastic from start to finish. So was the Super Bowl America's Game series.

And those Super Bowl highlight films, especially the ones from the late 70s, are absolutely riveting.

(And a fuck you to Hulu which used to have a bunch of those films on their site, including a whole bunch of random 70s and 80s team highlight films)

RIP to a NFL giant.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

RIP. Very sad to hear, but the consolation in all of this is that his work and influence will live on for a long, long time.

I remember reading somewhere that movie director Sam Peckinpaugh actually emulated some of Sabol's NFL Films work in filming some of his fight scenes.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

How sad.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Probably the way Peckinpah edited them. Early NFL Films had that quick edit kind of vibe that Peckinpah's trademark fight scenes did.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

He is my first memories of the NFL. I grew up in a soccer family. Watching those old NFL Film shows with him grabbed my interest and from there grew my obsession with the NFL.

RIP

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

RIP. Absolutely love NFL Films.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Count me in as another one who grew up on NFL Films. Used to love the Follies, and I always remember watching Joe Namath shooting pool.

My favorite, though, was the Lost Treasures episode where NFL Films was trying to track down a guy who, 20+ years earlier, when they were filming the expansion Bucs, got cut on the practice field by McKay in training camp. They showed several employees with phone books sitting in an office calling people, then they finally found the guy after a few months. The guy was stunned that he was found, and had never seen the tape of him getting cut until NFL Films flew down to his little hometown (I think it was in South Carolina), showed it to him, and profiled him.

RIP, to a great pioneer, and one of my boyhood memories.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP to a true giant.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

RIP ... someone I wished I had the chance to meet. What a remarkable impact he had on the game, and he knew how to have fun while doing it.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

http://www.profootballresearchers.org/Coffin_Corner/23-01-875.pdf

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted