1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stephen J. Cannell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 1, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dies at age 69:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jCbXxTpfoxnTym-lsatmoYMBzJcAD9IJ1I1O3?docId=D9IJ1I1O3

If you watched TV in the '70s or '80s, you watched TV he made: Rockford Files, Greatest American Hero, The A-Team, and more.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Starman will be at half-mast all day

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Cannell, of course, actually took over "Rockford" from Roy Huggins, Jr., who died in 2002.

But he certainly was a major force in its direction, along with Garner.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Greg Giraldo, Eddie Fisher, Tony Curtis, and Stephen J. Cannell.

Damn you Abe Vigoda.

Seriously, Cannell make it worth staying at home and watch TV in the 70's and 80's. The scene of him typing away at his typewriter, pulling out the sheet and turns into a "C" as part of the end credits to his show was an indelible stamp on television.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As a kid, Greatest American Hero was probably my favorite show. And I've recently seen a few episodes on DVD and it still holds up.

RIP, Mr. Cannell.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Deserves praise for Rockford and Wiseguy alone.

Put out a bunch of crap too, but entertaining crap. RIP.

7. highlander

highlander Member

Wiseguy was true greatness. It's too bad that all the episodes aren't available. The Dead Dog Records arc, one of the best stories, isn't available because of music licensing problems

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Never really watched his shows, but enjoyed his Shane Scully novels.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Enjoy the shows he created, and really like his recent appearances on Castle as part of the writers poker game.

RIP.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wiseguy was an absolutely incredible show. To me, Kevin Spacey will always be the freak boinking his sister. And how about Ray Sharkey, who was one of the best villains in TV history--Sonny Steelgrave.

Big fan of Cannell's stuff, would have guessed he was far older than 69. I also often mix him up with Glen A. Larson (The Hardy Boys, Knight Rider).

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Even though no one will ever accuse him of being high-brow, a lot of his shows endured because he knew how to develop characters people wanted to spend an hour with each week.

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I'm going to pull a piece of paper out of my typewriter and toss it in the air in remembrance.

Draft saved Draft deleted